Navy Question about retirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that you need to serve a total of 20 years in the military to qualify for pension in the old retirement system. Can this be accomplished by being in the reserve? For example I did hscp during dental school and I will not be doing a residency. After I finish my 4 year active duty service obligation is it correct that I can just stay in the reserve for 12 years in order to receive pension?

(4 year in dental school+4 year active+12 year reserve=20).

Do all the years must come from active duty?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had asked around about the HSCP program that you did, and here is how it was explained to me:

For an active duty retirement, you need to put in 20 years of active duty after dental school. The 4 years of active duty during dental school (from HSCP) do not count towards this 20 year requirement.

HOWEVER, after you put in 20 years post-dental school, you will get a credit of 4 more years (from HSCP) and draw a retirement equivalent to that of 24 years even though you spent 20 years on active duty after dental school.