Question about reviewing material and practicing tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centillion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a couple quick questions -

With regard to reviewing, is it bad for me to forget material after I've already reviewed it? Does anyone have advice for this? I rewrite the notes and review and everything, I'm just worried I won't remember it when I take the exam in a couple months (I'm about 50% done studying, and hopefully I'm not too behind for the exam)

In addition, is it okay for me to have a couple weak areas (as shown by performance on passages after I've read through the content)? Should I keep going in the attempt that when I sit down and do practice full-lengths for real, I can know what areas I specifically need to work on? Basically - should I go through everything once and then go back and review weaker areas or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Create a calendar in google calendar or your favorite calendar with alerts. When you know you're coming across a topic that is likely to leave you before the test, schedule yourself to revisit relevant passages in 2 days, and then again at 2 week intervals. Consistency is the name of the game here. Stay true to your schedule and the details won't leave you.

In terms of your second question, you need to do a solid analysis of those passages and determine whether the mistakes you made were content related or critical-thinking mistakes. If they are the latter, revisiting the content won't help. You should instead make a list of lessons learned and strategies that would help you get those questions right next time. Internalize them as you continue taking passages and consciously engage in good habits that you identify. Know that this will take time but the name of the game again is consistency.

I just had a couple quick questions -

With regard to reviewing, is it bad for me to forget material after I've already reviewed it? Does anyone have advice for this? I rewrite the notes and review and everything, I'm just worried I won't remember it when I take the exam in a couple months (I'm about 50% done studying, and hopefully I'm not too behind for the exam)

In addition, is it okay for me to have a couple weak areas (as shown by performance on passages after I've read through the content)? Should I keep going in the attempt that when I sit down and do practice full-lengths for real, I can know what areas I specifically need to work on? Basically - should I go through everything once and then go back and review weaker areas or no?
You're never forgetting things like that. It's not like they fall out of your head. They are there. Now, to make sure you can recall the information, you need to have a word document going. Every time you are reviewing, you should have it pulled up. Put anything into the word document that you feel you need to remember. Review this document every friday or something and you will get good at brushing up your weaknesses.

Yes you can have a few weak areas, but remember that the MCAT is doing nothing but testing a simple science concept wrapped in a convoluted message. Figure out the concept and you can conquer any question.

good luck.