Question about scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN community! I received a scholarship during my sophomore year in high school (October 2010) for $16,000, but it was not to be used until I started college at a 4 year institution (I receive $4,000 per year). Do I still put it down on my dental school application, or is it not necessary since it was issued to me in high school and not during my undergraduate career?

Members don't see this ad.

Ahoy Shipmate!

I would put it down- worst case dental schools don't care, best case they are impressed with your early demonstration of academic prowess in high school!

Ahoy Shipmate!

I would put it down- worst case dental schools don't care, best case they are impressed with your early demonstration of academic prowess in high school!

...assuming it was an academic scholarship.

What was the scholarship for? That would really determine if you should put it down or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if it wasn't an academic scholarship, it still counts as a "Awards, Honors, and Scholarships"- like I said, worst case dental schools won't care. Putting it down can only help or do nothing- it won't hurt.

Let the Admissions Officer decide.

Even if it wasn't an academic scholarship, it still counts as a "Awards, Honors, and Scholarships"- like I said, worst case dental schools won't care. Putting it down can only help or do nothing- it won't hurt.

Let the Admissions Officer decide.

Would you put it down if the money was for a beauty pageant?

Definitely - someone thought I'm gorgeous- I'm letting the whole world know :p

Ok, joking aside, if the scholarship isn't academic related, it was still earned in high school and I would hesitate to include it on an application personally, and even if it was academic related, it would still depend on what the scholarship is for, given that it was earned in high school.

I earned All-State honors in high school, which lead me to be a recruited athlete, thus getting me a scholarship in college...so I put the All-State honor on the app..it's kind of the same thing.

It's a needs-based scholarship that was earned upon academics and demonstration of resilience from adversity.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations Matey!

You know what to do - also, good for you for being resilient!

Anchors Aweigh!

Haha, thank you! "Resilient" is one of the words I choose whenever I go through an interview and they ask me to describe myself in 3 words. :)

That's a unique one- I'm sure the story behind it must be uplifting. Feel free to share it with me (over PM if you want privacy)- I like to hear inspirational tales.

My words would probably be:
1) Gregarious
2) Farsighted (in ideas, not vision- totally nearsighted and clumsy there :p)
3) Enthusiastic