Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question about science GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by X, Nov 4, 2001.

1. X

X

I am sort of confused about the science GPA. Can you include the psychology classes into that GPA?
    I think so, because they are science classes and have heard that people do so but have also heard people say that you are not suppose to.

Which is it?

Thanks
    X

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

No, you can't. Psych fits only into the BESS (i think) category in AMCAS. If you do try to put one into a science category (my school told us to do it for a couple of classes that were stat based/bio based psych), they will remove the science classification and reclassify. And won't listen to your pleas. Bear that in mind. --Trek

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, definitely BESS. Only biology, chemistry, physics and math go into science. Psychology is a social science, not natural science. And yes, AMCAS will change it if you try to fit psychology into your science GPA.

5. X

X

What exactly is BESS?

How about a logic class (under philosophy dept.), a computer class, and astronomy. They are basically mathematical. Would they (or any of them) come under the category of math or not?

Agreed that psych overall is a social science. But some classes are basically natural science, such as drugs and behavior(pharmacologically based) and vision related(almost an anatomy course in eyes). Do you think those will be okay. I don't intend to put all my psych courses in science just about 3-4 classes.

X

6. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member
    7+ Year Member

what will AMCAS do if I put a NBB class in the science GPA. NBB = nuero science and behavioral biology. (a fairly new major at Emory)

7. pyra

pyra Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Quite a few people have told me that AMCAS will leave the bio-based psyc classes alone and since it is not their decision to judge class content. They will only move obvious mistakes like classifying Political Science or Philosopy under Biology.