question about shadowing pls help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjoe00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay this does not really fit in with a post bacc question but in the spirit of gaining experience and having a srong applicatiuon for med school, i was trying to look into shadowing a physician u know, problem is i stay in this little town called raleigh in north carolina, i have already tried calling hospitals in the area with no luck so at this point i am wondering how in the world am i supposed to shadow , i can't even find one.... so if anyone out there in raleigh or anywhere else have any suggestions on how i should go about this i would really be grateful cos i really want to do this but i'm, lost i mean should i just get the phone book and call anyone out there .. i mean ???. anyways that my problem right now. thks

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have a bachelor's degree, contact your alma matter and ask if they have a database of alumni who are available for career referals. A lot of schools have this feature (you can also do it for a school you're currently attending). Contact any physicians on the list and ask to shadow them. If that fails, try the phone book.

jjoe00 said:
okay this does not really fit in with a post bacc question but in the spirit of gaining experience and having a srong applicatiuon for med school, i was trying to look into shadowing a physician u know, problem is i stay in this little town called raleigh in north carolina, i have already tried calling hospitals in the area with no luck so at this point i am wondering how in the world am i supposed to shadow , i can't even find one.... so if anyone out there in raleigh or anywhere else have any suggestions on how i should go about this i would really be grateful cos i really want to do this but i'm, lost i mean should i just get the phone book and call anyone out there .. i mean ???. anyways that my problem right now. thks

I simply used a phonebook and started calling, you'll get rejected quite a bit.... but whatever, you don't need to shadow everyone. Also use any family connections you can. My mom volunteered with some woman 8 years ago and they still talk from time to time when they see each other (I'm in greensboro btw so yeah, the same could apply for Raleigh). Anyway, that was my in for a FP. Good luck.

Also, talk to the hospital about getting HIPPA training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too encountered trouble finding someone to shadow and was advised to try volunteering in a local clinic...I'm still trying. It's a start and maybe you can find a physician who will let you shadow their private practice as well. Good luck!

Peterock said:
I simply used a phonebook and started calling, you'll get rejected quite a bit.... but whatever, you don't need to shadow everyone. Also use any family connections you can. My mom volunteered with some woman 8 years ago and they still talk from time to time when they see each other (I'm in greensboro btw so yeah, the same could apply for Raleigh). Anyway, that was my in for a FP. Good luck.

Also, talk to the hospital about getting HIPPA training.

excuse my asking but what is hippa training, thks

Clinics work. They'll be more receptive to you since you're not slowing down any profit margin, plus you'll get a LOT of hands-on experience. :thumbup:

If your still in school talk to your pre-med advising office. They should have some idea of area physicans or clinics that would be receptive to such a thing. They also likely have some connections.

jjoe00 said:
excuse my asking but what is hippa training, thks

HIPAA = health insurance portability and accountabilty act of 1996. The privacy regulations of this act came into effect 4/2003 and all it basically does it protect patient rights for health plans and providers to use PHI (protected health information). Training for purposes of a volunteer would basically cover your responsibilities tomaintain patient confidentiality (i.e don't talk about patient's treatment plans/conditions unless it directly relates to the payment, treatment or healthcare operations).