question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I go about asking someone for shadowing experience when i dont know them? I emailed my university hospital and got a response suggesting they can make an arrangement for me. but i emailed them back and havent received a response yet? should i call them or email them again? is that impolite?

what to do??:wtf:

Members don't see this ad.

Just wait for the reply. If you don't receive a reply within 2 days or so days then I would email again. I would email again and say something along the lines of "hey, i am contacting you regarding a recent email about xyz. i wasn't sure if you received my reply or it ended up in spam. Just wanted to make sure my return email reached you. Thank you for your time. " Something like that should do it. Just be courteous and give them some time ! Just to make it easier for them I would include the conversation that took place before and your reply. That way they don't have to go searching for your email in spam, trash, etc..

How long have you waited for the response? Is there someone you would be particularly interested in shadowing, and if so, could you email that person directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the most success emailing the physicians directly. It seems like your university has an associated medical school. That means this direct contact information will most likely be easier to find compared to if you were a member of the public at large. Try these steps to see if you have any more luck:

1) Identify physicians you'd want to shadow using the hospital website. For obvious reasons their email addresses will most likely not be publicly available here (if they do, great! Shoot them an email!) .
2) Go to your university's or the medical school's internal "People Directory" or its equivalent.
3) Search for the physicians to get their emails.
4) Send emails explaining your status and interest.

NOTE: If you don't have access to the internal directory or if they just don't show up, look around the hospital/medical school website to see if you can find ANY hospital/medical school associated email addresses to see if there is a set algorithm for email addresses. If there's a set pattern, give it a try with what *should* be the physician's address.

Sometimes you can also find email addresses within the medical school departments' faculty list/research pages. Be creative -- apply your interwebs stalking skills you've honed from years of Facebook stalking.

5) Wait.

For me, my family just mentioned me every time they saw a doctor, so when a doc would say "Oh he should totally shadow me" I just said ok. :p For real this is how I got my experience.

At my school, there were a few 'pre-med' clubs that helped set you up with shadowing experiences. They had connections with docs in a lot of different specialties, so they actually provided a lot of cool opportunities. Is there anything like that at your school? Also, if you shadow a physician and have a good experience, they may be able to set you up with some of their colleagues. Something to keep in mind!

ehhh i sent an email 4 days ago, then i sent another yesterday. I sent one to another doc yesterday too. I sent one to the local hospital today. so far no responses