question about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nugget12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how did people go about shadowing a doctor? and what does it usually entail? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends... premeds, medical students, residents, etc... can shadow. Depending on your skill level, it can range from simply following the doctor around to actually participating in procedures.

Well i volunteer at my cancer center...and this gunner pre-med chick volunteers there like once a month for 3-4 hrs of her time and how she went about it was just asking the charge nurse (who is extremely nice btw) if there's anyway she could shadow a doctor to see what work is rlly like to see if she rlly wants to be pre-med (lie).

So thats one way - volunteer and then say hey i like this is there any doc you all know of i can shadow?

2. I research for this MD chairman of a big hospital in UCSD. At anytime, i could ask him to shadow in his hospital he said...so basically i think shadowing requires you go through a hook to get it.

But then again i havent ever tried without it...so im sure some docs are nice enough to where you can just say hey im interested in this could i follow you around?! :thumbup:

I'm starting out with my pediatric cardiologist and other family doctors- if they know you already they are more likely to let you shadow; especially if you weren't obnoxious in appointments!:laugh: Then, when you try to shadow other doctors, you can always say, I shadowed Dr. Such-and-such, to show that you have SOME experience- then, they will be more likely to let you shadow them. That's my two-cents.:oops: