Question about spouse attending interview dinner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the programs that have invited me to interview did mention that my spouse was welcome to the pre or post- interview dinner. I was hoping he could attend all of the dinners. I was told by a classmate that bringing my husband may not be encouraged. My husband is very friendly and well-liked and isn't awkward or embarrassing. Any advice on this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

For the programs that do not mention bringing a spouse is it safe to say asking the program would be inappropriate? I'm assuming if a program doesn't offer the spouse to come then they did so purposefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the programs that do not mention bringing a spouse is it safe to say asking the program would be inappropriate? I'm assuming if a program doesn't offer the spouse to come then they did so purposefully.

If you're bringing your spouse on the interview trips, just let the program coordinator know, and ask nicely if there are any activities during the interview day that they can be included in. 9/10 times, they'll offer an invite to the informal dinner if one is offered. If there is a problem, the coordinators will generally let you know. We don't play games, really. If they didn't mention it, they may have forgotten, or maybe their program is such that it's less common that applicants come with SOs.

Just general advice to ALL interviewees: PLEASE just be honest, direct and polite. If you need something, let us know. Keep us informed. If you can't attend, call ahead and cancel. If it's important to you that your spouse attend something, ask. If you have a special need or a dietary preference, say something. We can't read minds, we don't expect you to either.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for your responses. I appreciate it!!!