Question About Studying For The Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a817

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have posted this on the Tourocom thread, but i would assume I would get a stronger answer from someone who has taken the COMLEX/USMLE.

I have a friend who goes to a Caribbean school (st george) and he came back and gave me his books for free, (lippincotts, netters, Histo etc) but he want these books back for the boards. We would be taking the board probably around the same time, and i wanted to know if these texts are useful for the boards or do they have there own books (like the mcat). Because if i need these books for the boards, i guess i would have buy them and give him his texts back. Should I just buy my own books?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I have posted this on the Tourocom thread, but i would assume I would get a stronger answer from someone who has taken the COMLEX/USMLE.

I have a friend who goes to a Caribbean school (st george) and he came back and gave me his books for free, (lippincotts, netters, Histo etc) but he want these books back for the boards. We would be taking the board probably around the same time, and i wanted to know if these texts are useful for the boards or do they have there own books (like the mcat). Because if i need these books for the boards, i guess i would have buy them and give him his texts back. Should I just buy my own books?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use the same books to prep for the boards, since they are similar. In fact, most of the people I talked to at my school who took both the USMLE and the COMLEX (quite a few), decided to study for the USMLE and consider themselves prepared for the COMLEX as well, although they needed to supplement with OMM material to make sure they were well-prepared for that subject.

All of the basic sciences I took and am taking at my medical school are essentially identical to those at an allopathic program of the same type of curriculum (system-based). There is very little difference, curricularly, with the exception of OMM. We study the same stuff, with the exception of OMM, and use the same books, generally.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use the same books to prep for the boards. In fact, most of the people I talked to at my school who took both the USMLE and the COMLEX, decided to study for the USMLE and consider themselves prepared for the COMLEX as well, although you will need to supplement with OMM material.

sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. lippincotts, netters were in the required section for my school's book list. I would have these books first year, and have no problem using them for class. But midway during second year, i would have to give the books up to the individual who gave them to me, Because he wants to have the books during the boards. So i wouldnt have these books when I take the boards. My question is if that is a big deal? Do i need these books for the boards? If it is recommended, i should reject his offer and buy the books myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. lippincotts, netters were in the required section for my school's book list. I would have these books first year, and have no problem using them for class. But midway during second year, i would have to give the books up to the individual who gave them to me, Because he wants to have the books during the boards. So i wouldnt have these books when I take the boards. My question is that a big deal? Do i need these books for the boards? If it recommended, i should reject his offer and buy the books myself.

Well, it depends on whether you would want these specific textbooks as reference for your board review and like to have them around at all times. The same basic sciences are tested in the COMLEX as in the USMLE, but there are perhaps differences in emphasis and question style. OMM is also tested on the COMLEX, but you already know that. Personally, I'd probably review using USMLE board review books and then look up something in my textbooks, if I don't understand or forgot a concept, but you don't have to own the textbooks, you can go to your school library. However, the point is that you are reviewing, not studying, since you should already be familiar with the material.

I do think you should buy a Netter's atlas, though. It's pretty fundamental.

... Because if i need these books for the boards, i guess i would have buy them and give him his texts back. Should I just buy my own books?....

Textbooks are just about useless for board study. By then, you should be familiar with most of the material and use specific board review material to study by. Reading your textbooks is a waste of time at that point unless you are totally unfamiliar with some material. First Aid and the Kaplan books are more than enough. If you don't take the Kaplan course, or your school doesn't give it to you, you can still get the books from a friend-- we all pass our books onto someone else when we're done. Wait until then to get newer editions because some of the material, pharmacology for instance, can change.

But, you are better off spending as much time as possible on questions. My school bought us 3 months of Q-bank, or you can get it (or another question source) online by yourself as well.

Thanks for the help... i guess i will buy netters, and save my money on the other books and not buy them.

If you join SOMA when you matriculate, you pay like $65 dues for all four years and get a free Netter's and t-shirt.
hmmm... didnt know that, does every school have SOMA? I am currently going to go to Tourocom, unless i get into NYCOM.

I think we all know why people join SOMA.

The sweet tshirt.