Question about submitting Letters of Recommendation

Started by CTR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CTR

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When applying to psychiatry residency programs, does it matter if I submit 4 letters of recommendation instead of the standard number of 3? Also, does it matter much who the non-psychiatrist letter writers are? I have letters written by two psychiatrists, two internists, one family physician and one surgeon. I'm including both psychiatrists with every submission, but I'm curious if it matters whether I include certain specialties from the others, and if I should just pick one or two. Thanks. 🙂
 
Hi. Typically, I checked with each program to see if it was OK to send more then 3 letters. I don't remember any programs that said, "only send 3", so I think I sent 4 to most programs. But all 4 were extremely good letters. I would, however, only send 3 excellent letters rather then 3 good ones and an extra 4th letter that was just so-so. But I would suggest looking into each program because you don't want some uptight place to get the impression you can't read direction. Stupid, I know.

Regarding who to get them from, I would definitively do the 2 from the psychiatrist and then use one or both of the internist letters over either the FP or surgeon, as long as they're good letters.

Hope that helps!
 
If all 4 are strong letters then send 4 if the program will take 4. If all non-psych letters are equally strong, then I would go with letters from different specialties because it demonstrates that you have broad talents.