Question about summer research as an MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smachadams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well application season for summer research internships is coming up soon and I'm a bit conficted as to what should I do with my first summer as a med student. Should I go for the most prestigous program I can get into, or perhaps go into a program whose institution Im likely to apply to residency later? Also, Im undecided as to which type of specialty Im interested in, but I think surgery might be a good fit...so research in GS maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Well application season for summer research internships is coming up soon and I'm a bit conficted as to what should I do with my first summer as a med student. Should I go for the most prestigous program I can get into, or perhaps go into a program whose institution Im likely to apply to residency later? Also, Im undecided as to which type of specialty Im interested in, but I think surgery might be a good fit...so research in GS maybe?

Do what you think you will enjoy the most. That is all.

Do what you think you will enjoy the most. That is all.

To expand on this a little to be a tad more useful ;).

You should spend your summer doing something that you enjoy. There is no point working on something that you don't enjoy as it will be unlikely to help you in the future and you don't have a ton of free time to pick what you are going to do.

Most competitive specialties don't particularly care for research that isn't in their specialty. Since you are undecided about what you are going into, you should identify specialties of interest that emphasize research, Rads, Derm, Rad Onc, etc. and consider doing research in one of those areas. One of the nice things about GS is that it overlaps with a lot of other specialties when it comes to research.

Where to do the research should NOT be determined by where you might apply as a resident. It is a very very small factor. Connections and networking are important and DO impact matches, but substance is always more important.