Question about tax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waterbottle10

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently worked moonlighting for 500$. On my paycheck, they took off 46% of the 500$ because apparently it is counted as supplemental wages since i am paid Biweekly on salary. And according to IRS, supplemental wages are taxed at 46.2% (Is what the payroll told me). My total income with moonlighting is still <70k so it seems to be non income dependent?

I tried to google for more info but I am unable to find more about this 46.2% tax for supplemental income. Anyone have more information about this?
 
I recently worked moonlighting for 500$. On my paycheck, they took off 46% of the 500$ because apparently it is counted as supplemental wages since i am paid Biweekly on salary. And according to IRS, supplemental wages are taxed at 46.2% (Is what the payroll told me). My total income with moonlighting is still <70k so it seems to be non income dependent?

I tried to google for more info but I am unable to find more about this 46.2% tax for supplemental income. Anyone have more information about this?

That sounds wrong to me. I'm not sure how they got to that percentage. Looking at the IRS publication, it looks like at most it should be 25%.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p15/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink1000202352
 
I recently worked moonlighting for 500$. On my paycheck, they took off 46% of the 500$ because apparently it is counted as supplemental wages since i am paid Biweekly on salary. And according to IRS, supplemental wages are taxed at 46.2% (Is what the payroll told me). My total income with moonlighting is still <70k so it seems to be non income dependent?

I tried to google for more info but I am unable to find more about this 46.2% tax for supplemental income. Anyone have more information about this?
I'm with @ThoracicGuy in that I believe it's 25% with things like bonuses.