question about tax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmacat78

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am single, no dependent, full time student,
Tuition of 2007: $22000
student loan: $13000
total taxable income from mutual fund: $13000
No transactions on mutual fund.
Based on my situation, do you think I will get any money back if I file the tax?
 
Did you pay any tax this year?

If not, you will not get anything back. You might actually owe, but you'd have to have:

Taxable Income - Exemption - Standard Deduction - Tuition and Fees Deduction/Lifetime learning Credit > 0 to owe tax.

EDIT: I think you have to file anyway, so just fill out the -EZ (or maybe you have to use -A with that much interest/dividend income -- I forget) form and see.....
 
Did you pay any tax this year?

If not, you will not get anything back. You might actually owe, but you'd have to have:

Taxable Income - Exemption - Standard Deduction - Tuition and Fees Deduction/Lifetime learning Credit > 0 to owe tax.

EDIT: I think you have to file anyway, so just fill out the -EZ (or maybe you have to use -A with that much interest/dividend income -- I forget) form and see.....

I did not pay any tax on 2007. What is EZ? How much you think I owe the tax?
thank you.
 
Sorry I didn't make that more clear. I was referring to the IRS 1040-EZ and 1040-A forms. Rather than have me guess at your tax liability, it would probably be easier for you to just fill out one of those forms (the 1040-EZ is the easiest, but if your taxable interest is greater than $1500, you cannot use it, which sounds like it might be your situation, so you would have to use form 1040-A.)

Oh, heck, I'll just GUESS at your tax liability:

13000 - 4000 (Tuition and fees deduction) = 9000 AGI
9000 (AGI) - 5350 (Standard Deduction) - 3400 (Exemption) = $250 Taxable Income

Therefore, based upon what you have written, I would estimate your total tax at a whopping $26. But, just fill out the forms and file, don't take my word for it.