Question about Texas A&M Zoom Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specterMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to the one-on-one interview over Zoom — Texas A&M is having applicants perform "two 30-minute virtual interviews, applicants will also be required to undergo two brief interactive encounters with our standardized patients via our telehealth platform."

Can anyone explain to me what to expect from this? I am fine with the 1 on 1, but what in the world is an SPE (standard patient exercise?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a role plaobey with someone being the patient and you being the provider. They want to see how you interact with someone, usually presenting some ethical/administrative issue. (they dont expect you to be a doctor and know medicine but they want to see how you interact with someone who may have questions or issues "around" medicine. Some MMI scenarios are like this

A broad example would be:
a situation is described. You are the doctor and you must tell the patient X
The patient the reacts
they want to see how you handle that reaction

That's a little stressful

Yup, but so is tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting-out psychotic patient.

Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did this last week. It helps if you've had any kind of customer service/people-pleasing role and know how to deal with people who may be dissatisfied or upset, but overall, they're not going to expect you to do anything that you're not qualified to do (e.g make diagnoses). Just be yourself and act considerate/kind of the other person.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, but so is tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting-out psychotic patient.

Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

Yea that's true. Thought completing CASPER would have sufficed, but I guess not haha.