question about textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rdhdstpkd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased textbooks online? Like from half.com? and how did it go?

It seems like it would save me a little money, but it makes me nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

It can work out well. Be very careful about what the prof wants.. Sometimes you cannot return them.

I ran into the problem where they told us to buy a particular book, and pulled it up online. It was more than $30 cheaper.

After I bought the book, they told us that we had to buy it from the bookstore so that we got the "CD" associated with it. This wasn't what they told us originally.

Now I have to spend $40 bucks on this CD, so now it is costing me more in the long run.

Check ISBNs. You should be okay.

I have had a bad experience or two, with the order placed through a large company, but they contract out to smaaler companies, and I was hit with an extra month of waiting. I don't think it's worth while unless I can order the book well before the semester begins. My friend had similar troubles, and had to wait 2 months.

Caveat Emptor.

I used half.com this semester and it saved me about $100. I'm going to try and sell some textbooks on half.com that my bookstore would not buy back.