• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

ATP Synthase

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
CA & NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was am applying to the 2008 entering class but since some new schools are offering extended dealine and free secondary applictaion fee for the class of 2007 I was think of applying now...Is it easier to get in the newer schools? Do I have a chance if I apply now?

slinkeyooo

sleeper
10+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Chicagoland
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I dont think that its any easier to get into the newer schools than any other but on that statement I do think that first come first serve does play a role. It may have been a little easier if you were one of the first applicants however most of the new schools have more than 2000 applications to choose from at this point. Id start thinking about next cycle and put your application and all of the materials in as early as possible to give yourself the best chance... Good luck.....

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yeah you would probably have a chance but why settle for a school that you're not crazy about? If you want to attend another school I would say what a year. That is what I did. I thought waiting a year would be hell but then again, in the grand scheme of things, what's a year?

About the Ads

ATP Synthase

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
CA & NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah you would probably have a chance but why settle for a school that you're not crazy about? If you want to attend another school I would say what a year. That is what I did. I thought waiting a year would be hell but then again, in the grand scheme of things, what's a year?

I was thinking of applying to two of the newer schools because of their locations and was also thinking they might be easier to get into now rather than later because the schools just opened in 2006. I was thinking of appying to those two because there dealine is in april and june, but I will still apply in june for the 2008 entering class.

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was thinking of applying to two of the newer schools because of their locations and was also thinking they might be easier to get into now rather than later because the schools just opened in 2006. I was thinking of appying to those two because there dealine is in april and june, but I will still apply in june for the 2008 entering class.
Sounds like a good plan and I understand you're eager to get in somewhere. Just don't sell yourself short.

froggiepremed

not "Pre" any more
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Harrogate, TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
not that a new school is selling yourself short. Do some research on the new schools, and you will find incredible faculty, buildings, etc. Good luck in 2008 and apply EARLY!

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
Houston, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i think it is easier to get into the new schools..especially dcom..its their first class..and they even pay for your secondary...to me thats a good indicator..

firemedictodo

Firemedictodo 4 ASB Pres.
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i think it is easier to get into the new schools..especially dcom..its their first class..and they even pay for your secondary...to me thats a good indicator..

This is not only false but very shallow. DCOM could not charge a fee for their secondary application because back when the school first started taking these LMU could not award a doctorate level degree. If a school is new in granting a doctorate level graduate degree they first must obtain thier accredidation (ex. SACS and so forth) before they can charge anyone for applying. I can guarentee if LMU had a doctorate level graduate school before now they would have charged a secondary fee as did all the other schools. Touro in NY can charge these fees because they have other established fees.

I asked this question at my interview and this is what I was told.

I will say that DCOM seemed more intrested in finding students who fit what they were looking for personality wise vs. a 4.0 with a 40 MCAT and no personality.

No disrespect, but it is only "easier" if you fit the mold that they are specifically looking for.
In fact, no medical school is easy to get into. An applicant is either what the ADCOM is look for or not.

DCOM will be a fantastic school, has many quality applicants, and will produce many great physicians.

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This is not only false but very shallow. DCOM could not charge a fee for their secondary application because back when the school first started taking these LMU could not award a doctorate level degree. If a school is new in granting a doctorate level graduate degree they first must obtain thier accredidation (ex. SACS and so forth) before they can charge anyone for applying. I can guarentee if LMU had a doctorate level graduate school before now they would have charged a secondary fee as did all the other schools. Touro in NY can charge these fees because they have other established fees.

I will say that DCOM seemed more intrested in finding students who fit what they were looking for personality wise vs. a 4.0 with a 40 MCAT and no personality.

No disrespect, but it is only "easier" if you fit the mold that they are specifically looking for.
In fact, no medical school is easy to get into. An applicant is either what the ADCOM is look for or not.

DCOM will be a fantastic school, has many quality applicants, and will produce many great physicians.
I understand your point and I agree with it: All med schools are hard to get into. I think that Mikey's point may have been that people with really solid stats (3.5+ GPA, 27+ MCAT) may apply at the more established schools because they have a tangible product and tangible stats (residency match lists, board pass rates, graduates sitting on boards at hospitals) and that is appealing.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Really? Last I knew there was about an 8% acceptance rate and the class was all but full (120 out of 150 spots taken).

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
They only had an extended deadline because they didnt start even looking for applicants until around August or September. They had to extend it to have the same amount of time as all of the other schools. By the way, they have already almost filled their class, and they are already sending out rejections so I think applying this year would be a waste of your time.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2000
Status (Visible)

Good stats and a great personality are not always mutually exclusive.

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've been accepted to one of the new schools and one of the older schools, which has an 98% pass rate on the Boards. For some reasons, I'm more drawn to the new school because of its innovative curriculum. Is it crazy to pick a an unestablished school over an established one? Is that a risky gamble for residency? Any thoughts appreciated.

CTrainSJU

MS I
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've been accepted to one of the new schools and one of the older schools, which has an 98% pass rate on the Boards. For some reasons, I'm more drawn to the new school because of its innovative curriculum. Is it crazy to pick a an unestablished school over an established one? Is that a risky gamble for residency? Any thoughts appreciated.
IMHO, yes and yes.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Speedwell, TN
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Well said!:thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.