Question about the new schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATP Synthase

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was am applying to the 2008 entering class but since some new schools are offering extended dealine and free secondary applictaion fee for the class of 2007 I was think of applying now...Is it easier to get in the newer schools? Do I have a chance if I apply now?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think that its any easier to get into the newer schools than any other but on that statement I do think that first come first serve does play a role. It may have been a little easier if you were one of the first applicants however most of the new schools have more than 2000 applications to choose from at this point. Id start thinking about next cycle and put your application and all of the materials in as early as possible to give yourself the best chance... Good luck.....

Yeah you would probably have a chance but why settle for a school that you're not crazy about? If you want to attend another school I would say what a year. That is what I did. I thought waiting a year would be hell but then again, in the grand scheme of things, what's a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you would probably have a chance but why settle for a school that you're not crazy about? If you want to attend another school I would say what a year. That is what I did. I thought waiting a year would be hell but then again, in the grand scheme of things, what's a year?

I was thinking of applying to two of the newer schools because of their locations and was also thinking they might be easier to get into now rather than later because the schools just opened in 2006. I was thinking of appying to those two because there dealine is in april and june, but I will still apply in june for the 2008 entering class.

I was thinking of applying to two of the newer schools because of their locations and was also thinking they might be easier to get into now rather than later because the schools just opened in 2006. I was thinking of appying to those two because there dealine is in april and june, but I will still apply in june for the 2008 entering class.
Sounds like a good plan and I understand you're eager to get in somewhere. Just don't sell yourself short.

not that a new school is selling yourself short. Do some research on the new schools, and you will find incredible faculty, buildings, etc. Good luck in 2008 and apply EARLY!

i think it is easier to get into the new schools..especially dcom..its their first class..and they even pay for your secondary...to me thats a good indicator..

i think it is easier to get into the new schools..especially dcom..its their first class..and they even pay for your secondary...to me thats a good indicator..

This is not only false but very shallow. DCOM could not charge a fee for their secondary application because back when the school first started taking these LMU could not award a doctorate level degree. If a school is new in granting a doctorate level graduate degree they first must obtain thier accredidation (ex. SACS and so forth) before they can charge anyone for applying. I can guarentee if LMU had a doctorate level graduate school before now they would have charged a secondary fee as did all the other schools. Touro in NY can charge these fees because they have other established fees.

I asked this question at my interview and this is what I was told.

I will say that DCOM seemed more intrested in finding students who fit what they were looking for personality wise vs. a 4.0 with a 40 MCAT and no personality.

No disrespect, but it is only "easier" if you fit the mold that they are specifically looking for.
In fact, no medical school is easy to get into. An applicant is either what the ADCOM is look for or not.

DCOM will be a fantastic school, has many quality applicants, and will produce many great physicians.

This is not only false but very shallow. DCOM could not charge a fee for their secondary application because back when the school first started taking these LMU could not award a doctorate level degree. If a school is new in granting a doctorate level graduate degree they first must obtain thier accredidation (ex. SACS and so forth) before they can charge anyone for applying. I can guarentee if LMU had a doctorate level graduate school before now they would have charged a secondary fee as did all the other schools. Touro in NY can charge these fees because they have other established fees.

I will say that DCOM seemed more intrested in finding students who fit what they were looking for personality wise vs. a 4.0 with a 40 MCAT and no personality.

No disrespect, but it is only "easier" if you fit the mold that they are specifically looking for.
In fact, no medical school is easy to get into. An applicant is either what the ADCOM is look for or not.

DCOM will be a fantastic school, has many quality applicants, and will produce many great physicians.
I understand your point and I agree with it: All med schools are hard to get into. I think that Mikey's point may have been that people with really solid stats (3.5+ GPA, 27+ MCAT) may apply at the more established schools because they have a tangible product and tangible stats (residency match lists, board pass rates, graduates sitting on boards at hospitals) and that is appealing.

:thumbdown: true, but not always... (and sometimes we even turn down those and other allo and osteo acceptances for those 'new' schools. ) :thumbup: :thumbup:

hmmm....extended deadline and no fee

sounds like they can't fill their class

They only had an extended deadline because they didnt start even looking for applicants until around August or September. They had to extend it to have the same amount of time as all of the other schools. By the way, they have already almost filled their class, and they are already sending out rejections so I think applying this year would be a waste of your time.

Good stats and a great personality are not always mutually exclusive.

I've been accepted to one of the new schools and one of the older schools, which has an 98% pass rate on the Boards. For some reasons, I'm more drawn to the new school because of its innovative curriculum. Is it crazy to pick a an unestablished school over an established one? Is that a risky gamble for residency? Any thoughts appreciated.

I've been accepted to one of the new schools and one of the older schools, which has an 98% pass rate on the Boards. For some reasons, I'm more drawn to the new school because of its innovative curriculum. Is it crazy to pick a an unestablished school over an established one? Is that a risky gamble for residency? Any thoughts appreciated.
IMHO, yes and yes.

Well said!:thumbup: