1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

question about the personal statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fourstar, May 2, 2004.

1. fourstar

fourstar Member
    5+ Year Member

in the personal statement, do/did you guys write about which speciality interests you?

I think if i wrote about the specialty I went to get into, i can make it much more personal rather than just showing my interest in medicine

what do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. skittles

skittles Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, especially if you're applying to schools with good programs in that specialty.

4. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

By all means, I think having direction makes a good impression.

5. fourstar

fourstar Member
    5+ Year Member

so they won't look down on that right?

will they think I'm being naive thinking I know exactly what I want to go into......??
    either way, if I just focus on the specialty i want to enter, my personal essay would probably be 10x better.

thanks..

6. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A safe attitude is 'This is what is currently interesting me but I want to experience alot more before I make my decision'. this shows you have though about something you like, have direction, but have the maturity to realize you might like something else, might end up hating what you thought you loved.. (hello, self!) etc. Keeps you safe in case your reviewer/interviewer hates the specialty you want to go into.

7. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    i wouldn't discourage this, but i wouldn't necessarily encourage it either. you really are free to write whatever u want in your PS, but the sort of underlying theme in your PS is "I am interesting enough for you to want to interview me and here's why." by making a specialty choice personal statement (something you outta leave for your residency application) you run the risk of having a reader go "oh...another person who says they want to do insert specialty here and not do it... no thanks" and then not get invited to interview, or only get invited to interview at a limited # of schools.

keep the essay general -- there's a style reviewers r used to.

8. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I agree with edfig

The personal statement should focus on you, not on what specialty you want to go into. This an opportunity for you to bring out those qualities that you feel will make you not only a good doctor but a good person. You want to talk about how a particular experience made you grow to become a better and stronger person and thus better equipped to enter medicine. Talking about what specialty you want to go into will probably not reveal as much about you as ther personal statement should.

9. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't advise this for several reasons:

(1) As several others have pointed out, the personal statement is the place where you want to reveal something *personal* about yourself. You can definitely relate the formative experiences that have steered you towards your interest in pediatrics or geriatrics or obstetrics or whatever, but the emphasis needs to be on you.

(2) Are you only applying to schools that excel in the specialty you're interested in? Because if you are applying to others, they might not be as interested in you knowing that you probably won't like it there. The initial AMCAS personal statement should be generic enough to work for all the schools. Going into the specifics of each program is better done in the secondaries.

(3) People learn and people change. A big part of med school is going through the different rotations and figuring out where you fit best. Doctors are very skeptical of students who come in without knowing much about the specialty beyond the certainty that they want to be in it. Don't burn any bridges. Say what interests you, but be open and willing to learn about other things.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

10. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

110% agree. I am not planning on mentioning any "desired" specialties.

11. Yobot

Yobot A Jordan Head
    5+ Year Member

I would advise this approach as well. Shows you have a certain sense of direction, but at the same time flexible and open to suggestion.

12. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if you're tactful about it, it might not be terrible, but i probably wouldn't.

if you do, just don't do anything stupid like apply to DO/primary care schools and profess an undying love for "experimental pediatric renal surgery." that might not go over too well.