Question about the Vanilla/Balanced method for RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asfasdfasdferwerw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I read that a key part of the vanilla method and part of the balanced method is to read a few paragraphs carefully and such. But could anyone clarify exactly how slowly/carefully we need to read and how much we need to retain?

I've been having great difficulty retaining the information I'm reading even carefully. For me, reading slowly will give me an idea of where to find everything, but because there is so much detail in the passage a lot of what I read doesn't stay with me. I am to get the gist of the passage for tone/inference questions most of the time, but would SD be better for somebody like me?

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean. I struggled through the same thing. Here are my bootcamp scores: 17, 17, 20,21,19. The first 2 times I tried reading really quickly and just S and D after but I just couldn't pin point the exact location or I took too long to find the relevant Paragraph. So I switched to reading/mapping/answering questions as I went. I had about 12 minutes at the end of the section to go back and review. Just remember if you don't know a question within 40 sec or so, just pick and answer, mark it, and move on. After using this method I started getting 19+ on bootcamp. I'm a really slow read btw

For my method, the main reason you really read the first sections carefully is to understand what the article is about and the style of writing the author is taking. Mostly to get a feel for the rest of the article.

You can get an 18-21 by SandD but I personally feel to get 26+ on reading you need to be able to Understand what the QUESTION is asking and interpret the information in the passage.

I used a method that was similar to byu4, but I read the first question and read quickly and carefully with that question in mind. If it was a tone question I would go to question number 2 instead and do the same thing. If the question was answered while reading, then I would move on to the next one.