Question about transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this was originally posted in the pharmacy student section but i got no feedback, so I'm hoping someone here in the pre-pharmacy forum may know something and could help me and my friends out.

hey all, you know how when you apply to things like pharmacy schools, they ask that you list ALL the colleges you've ever been to and or all the courses you've taken? Would we have to do such a thing at all after we get into pharmacy school (i.e. for scholarships)? Would getting an F or W at a JC where I am not getting my degree come back to haunt me in the future?

The reason why I ask is I signed up to take this Interpersonal Communication class that is being offered kinda faraway at a Community College because it is a required for the University of Southern CA. Now that I got into UCSD and no longer want to go to USC, I don't want to spend 3 hours in this class (b/c it is so faraway, it's about 4.5 hours each week including traffic...which is a huge chunk of my time...not to mention I had to give up volunteering with the homeless that I really enjoyed b/c both the class and this volunteering occur at the same time). However, I got my UCSD acceptance letter way after the "drop deadline w/o a W on transcript." Is it okay if I just not show up (and take an F) or even just drop it WITH a W on that transcript so that I can go work with the homeless? It would never show up on my Berkeley transcript and no one would ever have to know about it unless somewhere far down the future I need to report every single college course I have taken and or all the colleges I have been to and I don't want an "F" or "W" to haunt me in the future.

[EDIT] if you guys don't know the answer, whom would you recommend that I talk to in order to receive the most accurate info (I'll be sure to post a follow-up on that so everyone here knows in case anyone is interested in this info).

Members don't see this ad.

Just take a W ... Ws really don't mean anything. Just don't have one every semester and you are fine. Colleges are pretty understanding about Ws.

endlesslove said:
this was originally posted in the pharmacy student section but i got no feedback, so I'm hoping someone here in the pre-pharmacy forum may know something and could help me and my friends out.

hey all, you know how when you apply to things like pharmacy schools, they ask that you list ALL the colleges you've ever been to and or all the courses you've taken? Would we have to do such a thing at all after we get into pharmacy school (i.e. for scholarships)? Would getting an F or W at a JC where I am not getting my degree come back to haunt me in the future?

The reason why I ask is I signed up to take this Interpersonal Communication class that is being offered kinda faraway at a Community College because it is a required for the University of Southern CA. Now that I got into UCSD and no longer want to go to USC, I don't want to spend 3 hours in this class (b/c it is so faraway, it's about 4.5 hours each week including traffic...which is a huge chunk of my time...not to mention I had to give up volunteering with the homeless that I really enjoyed b/c both the class and this volunteering occur at the same time). However, I got my UCSD acceptance letter way after the "drop deadline w/o a W on transcript." Is it okay if I just not show up (and take an F) or even just drop it WITH a W on that transcript so that I can go work with the homeless? It would never show up on my Berkeley transcript and no one would ever have to know about it unless somewhere far down the future I need to report every single college course I have taken and or all the colleges I have been to and I don't want an "F" or "W" to haunt me in the future.

[EDIT] if you guys don't know the answer, whom would you recommend that I talk to in order to receive the most accurate info (I'll be sure to post a follow-up on that so everyone here knows in case anyone is interested in this info).
I think it might be better that you email UCSD and explain your situation and get their response back in writting for document in case there is something happened later. In the email, must make sure that they understand that the deadline to drop this class is passed, so you would get an F.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, according to the student affairs officer at ucsd, the answer is no, not even when I apply for residencies... Is that a pretty reliable answer? *sigh*

[EDIT]: so i guess "yes, it is a pretty reliable answer" b/c I called USC too (to get more opinions from people already in the field) and they said no, the W won't hurt in the future when applying for pharmacy residencies and scholarships, given I'll have my BA/BS.

Hope this helps for anyone who may be in a similar situation

I take offense- I posted a response to your question involving transcripts. Whether or not you liked my response is another thing...

emogrrrrl said:
I take offense- I posted a response to your question involving transcripts. Whether or not you liked my response is another thing...
yeah i did too but i guess i'm just second-class

emogrrrrl said:

hi emogrrrrl, um, i have no idea what you're talking about? I don't even see your post to this thread (perhaps it's in the pharmacy forum (not pre-pharm), which I haven't checked yet). At any rate, I don't know why you "take offense" since I never referred to you specifically (or anybody in this forum) or had to quesiton whether or not I liked your response (since I never saw your response). SOmeone just suggested i contact some pharmacy schools and I did that (since, that was one of the suggestions to THIS SPECIFIC thread--again, i haven't had the time to check the pharmacy forum yet) and posted it here in case someone in the future had similar questions. i can't really say 'i'm sorry' since i don't know what offended you in the first place. but have a good day.

to bbmuffin--again, your post is probably in the pharmacy forum, which i'll check later (since the internet at the library is really slow), so I didn't see it.

Calm yourself, I was teasing you. And yes, my response to your question was in the pharmacy student forum- hence the reason i said I took offense since you started out this pre-pharmacy thread saying that no one in the pharmacy student forum answered your question. I never asked for an apology and still do not request one.
It's all fun and games until someone misreads the tone in what you post. :D
I think I should probably adopt bbmuffin's disclaimer. And good day to you as well :p

emogrrrrl said:
Calm yourself, I was teasing you. And yes, my response to your question was in the pharmacy student forum- hence the reason i said I took offense since you started out this pre-pharmacy thread saying that no one in the pharmacy student forum answered your question. I never asked for an apology and still do not request one.
It's all fun and games until someone misreads the tone in what you post. :D
I think I should probably adopt bbmuffin's disclaimer. And good day to you as well :p
yeah mine is over there as well and was done like the day after you posted it in there... i think you just got in a hurry saying that we wouldn't answer

bbmuffin said:
yeah mine is over there as well and was done like the day after you posted it in there... i think you just got in a hurry saying that we wouldn't answer

hey bbmuffin, when i said "but i got no feedback" i didn't really mean the students in the pharmacy forum wouldn't answer. I just assumed maybe nobody there really knew a (definitive) answer to respond since when I last checked, which was when I made the original post in THIS thread). Anyway, it's all good.