1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about UG gpa.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dgarchow, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dgarchow

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I won't bore any of you SDN veterans to sleep with another sob-tale about an aspiring physician who made grievous errors at their UG institution; but yet wants so badly to get back on track........Wait, that is exactly what I am doing-sorry.

To the point: I attended one UG cc and attained a 2.70 GPA; If I transfer to a bachelor-granting college/univeristy, is there a standard way that UG gpa is calculated for determining med school applicability?

I know that most colleges and universities only recognize passing grades from transfer students, and disregard prior gpa which allows the student to build a new gpa at their secondary school. Do med schools (all/some) review all gpa or just those that are reported by the degree-granting institution?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. slinkeyooo

slinkeyooo sleeper
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    they use all of your grades from all of your schools in your gpa calculation... They will replace a grade with a better grade if you retake a class, other than that just get better grades to bring your gpa up...

4. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah sorry - they'll include all grades and if you don't send all your transcripts or report all of your UG grades, you can get into trouble in some shape or another...

My advice: grin and bear it and try to do well on the MCAT.

Positive trends are really admired by admissions committees, so says SDN.

5. Kappy1

Kappy1 Bleach and Glass Cleaner
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try to bring your GPA any way possible. Take advanced level science courses. Even go over the necessary credit amount (120 or more) to graduate, even if it means staying in undergrad an extra year; to make yourself a competative applicant it is worth it. Take intro level courses in many different fields, usually these courses are easy and should boost your GPA, and you will also be showing schools you are a well rounded person. Good Luck!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

6. Muscles00GT

2+ Year Member

great advice. as an undergrad, i can relate to your situation. i have a low gpa, but am doing real well this semester (currently in my 4th). My first 3 semester i averaged a 2.8 gpa. only thing you can do is do your best from here on out. as long as you bring up your grades and show schools you're capable of getting A's and B's in science courses, you should be fine. and staying an extra year is a great idea if you need to