Question about "underdog" topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Granny Watkins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to these people who make it into a school with below average stats, but how often does this occur? I know many people with lower GPAs and MCAT scores must have something unique which gets them admission. How likely is it that you will get in with lower stats like these applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

That's really impossible to quantify. You can look at numbers, but there's an awful lot they don't tell you.

Was that 3.2 cGPA an engineering major from a notoriously tough school? A combat veteran? A legacy? Someone with a severe family tragedy in sophomore year? A non-trad with a terrible old performance but a 4.0 post bacc/second degree? A resident of a state with a public school that takes almost exclusively in-state applicants?

It's impossible to tell from a chart. I came back from a very low decade-old GPA with a pretty unorthodox path, and have been accepted. And I've seen people on here with much stronger numbers than mine that did not get in. I think those of us coming from lower stat starting points need to assess our competitiveness in more roundabout ways, and be especially attentive to our strengths and weaknesses. Nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
60% of medical school applicants in any given year do not matriculate to any school. The reality is there is a huge demand for the limited number of seats in medical schools across the country. I completely agree with what was posted above as GPA and test scores do not tell the whole picture of an applicant.

Congratulations to these people who make it into a school with below average stats, but how often does this occur? I know many people with lower GPAs and MCAT scores must have something unique which gets them admission. How likely is it that you will get in with lower stats like these applicants?

search SDN on "low GPA" to review stories from those who've attempted redemption.