Question about undergrad cumulative GPA

Started by azcardsb50
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

azcardsb50

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Here are my stats:
B.S. in human bio
undergrad cumulative GPA: 2.8
cumulative GPA (after taking extra classes at cc and post bac): 3.1
prereq GPA: 3.7
GRE: 157/162/4
and tons of observation hours due to being a PT aide

So my question is when I check PTCAS, lots of schools say they want a minimum GPA of 3.0 for undergraduate cumulative GPA. As you can see I don't really meet that requirement, so does that mean if I apply will they just throw my application away because I don't meet that requirement or does my new cumulative GPA ever be taken into consideration? For example, I would love to go to UCSF pt school but they have a 3.0 requirement of undergrad cum GPA. Should I even risk applying there? Thanks for everyones help!
 
Hey guys,

Here are my stats:
B.S. in human bio
undergrad cumulative GPA: 2.8
cumulative GPA (after taking extra classes at cc and post bac): 3.1
prereq GPA: 3.7
GRE: 157/162/4
and tons of observation hours due to being a PT aide

So my question is when I check PTCAS, lots of schools say they want a minimum GPA of 3.0 for undergraduate cumulative GPA. As you can see I don't really meet that requirement, so does that mean if I apply will they just throw my application away because I don't meet that requirement or does my new cumulative GPA ever be taken into consideration? For example, I would love to go to UCSF pt school but they have a 3.0 requirement of undergrad cum GPA. Should I even risk applying there? Thanks for everyones help!
You should call them. For some schools, they use the GPA requirement as a filter. Other schools don't follow it so strictly. You really have to email or call admissions and ask the correct way. I'm sure they'll be honest with you and don't be afraid to ask that question. Gluck
 
There are def some schools that will toss your app out. You want schools that use an overall cumulative GPA. Dig on the websites and ptcas or call/email them.
 
Hey guys,

Here are my stats:
B.S. in human bio
undergrad cumulative GPA: 2.8
cumulative GPA (after taking extra classes at cc and post bac): 3.1
prereq GPA: 3.7
GRE: 157/162/4
and tons of observation hours due to being a PT aide

So my question is when I check PTCAS, lots of schools say they want a minimum GPA of 3.0 for undergraduate cumulative GPA. As you can see I don't really meet that requirement, so does that mean if I apply will they just throw my application away because I don't meet that requirement or does my new cumulative GPA ever be taken into consideration? For example, I would love to go to UCSF pt school but they have a 3.0 requirement of undergrad cum GPA. Should I even risk applying there? Thanks for everyones help!
I would recommend talking to the program directors. I had some outdated prereqs for one of the universities I wanted to apply to and spoke to the program director about it. After a discussion she told me quite honestly that they would probably recommend retaking a few prereqs but said that if I wanted to apply, to include a little resume/brief note about what I have been up to since graduating and such. I submitted my resume along with my application, as well as an essay (about 500 words - 1 page, 1 inch margins, 1.5" spacing) which argued my case as to why I am prepared to handle the rigors of the program, what I have been involved in, etc. I ended up being accepted to the university (though declined in favor of my first choice).
Despite having a weak cumulative undergrad GPA, you have a strong prereq GPA. What is your last 60 hours GPA? Many programs take that into consideration as well.
I would highly recommend talking to the programs before applying and see if they are willing to make an exception. The worst that can happen is that they say no. But don't apply without checking first. Fees add up quickly. No sense wasting your money!