Question About Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phatty925

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys-
i took EK and have been practicing verbal w/ their new 101 passages book and aamc practice tests and have been improving.
however, since i don't have enough full-length tests to do every day until the real mcat, three times a week, i do practice passages from princeton's hyperlearning book (practice tests A-D) and also some LSAT passages.
i did my first set of princeton passages today and did significantly worse than my normal performance. for those of you who have taken TPR verbal tests before and aamc tests, how would you compare the two?
any advice or insight would be appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

did you do the PR passages from the tests A-D book? i haven't done those myself b/c i've been told that the passages in the book are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the ones you'll see on the MCAT. the tests in that book are mean as a final resort...if you've done everything else and still need practice material, then do those. you might want to get a hold of the other PR verbal material (ex like the ones in the verbal workbook), which are pretty much on the same level (if not just a little bit harder) as the ones you might see on the real mcat.

I took the TPR test A, but I was way too demoralized to do B-D. The people teaching my classes told us not to even bother with those tests because they are just too difficult. I doubled my score on the real MCAT compared to that test.

really?......i got about the same # of questions right as usual, however, i found the scoring scale to be brutal...........i did better on the verbal than i did on the princeton 481 and 482.....i thought 483 was the easisst

nero

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mws99
I took the TPR test A, but I was way too demoralized to do B-D. The people teaching my classes told us not to even bother with those tests because they are just too difficult. I doubled my score on the real MCAT compared to that test.

Ha HA, yeah I was the same way. I didn't even get the point of those tests. I know making practice tests SLIGHTLY harder would help one gauge their weakpoints, but I couldn't even come within 10 points of my real MCAT score on those things.

hey guys,
thanks for the feedback...
yeah, the passages i'm practicing with ARE from the tests A-D book...but it's from 1999-- someone gave them to me to practice with and they are nothing like the AAMC passages and they're a lot harder too. i've been ranging between a 9 and 11 on aamc and EK passages, but on that one, i got a 7. i wasn't sure what to make of it. it's comforting to know that you guys feel the same way. well, what do you think i should do then? i have enough full-lengths to do 4 times a week, but the other 3 times a week, i need some passages to practice with. do you think it's better taking some days off than practicing with those passages or do you think practicing w/ them can't hurt?