Question about wearing glasses and operating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaded Soul

Proloxil > Zoloft
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that to do ophtho surgery, you have to have very good vision. I wear contacts, but my eyes dry out very quickly with them in and things blur quickly when I'm staring. With glasses, my vision can be corrected to 20/15. So my question is, is it possible to do microscopic surgery while wearing glasses? I've never observed a glasses-wearing ophtho MD in the OR, so I'm not sure of the answer. In the clinic, the only ophtho MD with glasses I've worked with took hers off everytime she looked through the slit-lamp. I'm going to apply in ophtho later this year and I'd hate to be limited or excluded from the field because of my own vision.

Members don't see this ad.

I might be confused, but I believe most of ophtho surgery is done while looking through a scope- cataracts, etc. Because the eye-pieces of the scope are adjustable, one does not need glasses when doing this type of surgery. I may be wrong on this, but I've never seen an ophthalmologist where glasses when doing surgery- unless it was for a pterygium (sp???) or some type of eyelid s(x).:cool: :cool: :cool: :eek:

Originally posted by Silvertip
I might be confused, but I believe most of ophtho surgery is done while looking through a scope- cataracts, etc. Because the eye-pieces of the scope are adjustable, one does not need glasses when doing this type of surgery. I may be wrong on this, but I've never seen an ophthalmologist where glasses when doing surgery- unless it was for a pterygium (sp???) or some type of eyelid s(x).:cool: :cool: :cool: :eek:

You can only adjust the scope to a certain degree. If surgeons need glasses, then they wear them with loupes or use glasses with the microscope. It's not a big deal.

I guess you need to get around more...

A lot of us operate with our glasses ON...

Don't you worry about silly stuff like this...