Question about weight loss drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laura_mideon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know about Meridia and/or Xenical? I know that xenical works by blocking out any fat you eat, but what about carbohydrates? It seems fairly safe, the side effects seem mild but I don't know how effective it will be.

And Meridia works on the nervous system, that just seems weird to me. Do any of you know exactly how, or how well, either of these 2 drugs work??

Just Curious (I've been hearing alot about these two drugs lately),
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Meridia works by inhibiting reuptake of serotonin (which is related to appetite) and norepinephrine. I'd have to go look it up to be sure. There is some concern about the cardiac effects of Meridia since it is messing with norepi levels. There might even be a group that is trying to get the FDA to withdraw it!
I don't know about Xenical, though. Maybe someone else does?

ForgetMeNot said:
I think Meridia works by inhibiting reuptake of serotonin (which is related to appetite) and norepinephrine. I'd have to go look it up to be sure. There is some concern about the cardiac effects of Meridia since it is messing with norepi levels. There might even be a group that is trying to get the FDA to withdraw it!

I've heard that one of the side effects of Meridia is seizures, that's scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not be surprised if side effects are that severe. It doesn't seem like a very clean drug.

meridia inhibits the reuptake of serotonin, norepi, and dopamine. this decreases your appetite. it can cause some bad side effects like tachycardia, hypertension, anxiety...all related to increases in those particular neurotransmitters.

xenical inhibits lipase in the digestive tract, so the fat is not broken down. this causes it to pass through unabsorbed. it creates some bad side effects like flatulence and incontinence with oily stool.

personally, I don't recommend diet drugs.

There's an over the counter one I've heard good things about, it's called xenadrine, what do you guys think about that one?

I think it's just been reformulated to containe caffeine or it's precursors in "herbal" form. Just drink Mountain Dew instead. :/ As a pharmacist, I never recommended OTC diet medications.

I switched to caffeine-free mountain dew about 4 years ago, it still tastes great!! :D I don't think there's much difference between the regular and the caffeine-free.

But then what's the point? ;) That's look turning the blood/gore off on video games.

bananaface said:
I heard that Mountain Dew doesn't contain caffeine in Canada. Is that true Laura?

Maybe, I haven't heard that though. But then again, I really dislike Mountain Dew.....if it is true, I wonder why it would be like that only here?? That's odd.

GravyRPH said:
I think it's just been reformulated to containe caffeine or it's precursors in "herbal" form. Just drink Mountain Dew instead. :/ As a pharmacist, I never recommended OTC diet medications.

I know two people who are on xenadrine right now, one's lost 50 pounds over about 6 months and the other about 20 in the past few months. The one who lost 20 said he hasn't worked out or changed his diet at all.....do you think just taking caffeine would have the same effect?? I read the ingredients and I don't know how it's working for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
laura_mideon said:
Maybe, I haven't heard that though. But then again, I really dislike Mountain Dew.....if it is true, I wonder why it would be like that only here?? That's odd.

I think the caffeine in most of the sodas in the united states are added to them, meaning that it isn't just a natural part of the soda making process. canada doesn't do this, in fact, I heard that they don't have caffeine in any of their sodas.....?

futoi said:
I think the caffeine in most of the sodas in the united states are added to them, meaning that it isn't just a natural part of the soda making process. canada doesn't do this, in fact, I heard that they don't have caffeine in any of their sodas.....?

That's not true. We have caffeine in our pop, not only in the pop that may be american, like pepsi, coke,..etc. but also in our various store brand generic pop. Because we also have all of the caffeine-free ones too. I just checked the pop I drink and it has caffeine listed as the last ingredient.

I did a Google search and repeatedly came up with something about the prohibition of adding caffeine to clear (ie: see through, regardless of tint) beverages in Canada. But, I found nothing official. I guess we have to rely on you to check out the Mountain Dew labeling when you go to the store next time Laura.

I bought the caffeine free pop again and I have a friggin headache. :mad:

bananaface said:
I did a Google search and repeatedly came up with something about the prohibition of adding caffeine to clear (ie: see through, regardless of tint) beverages in Canada. But, I found nothing official. I guess we have to rely on you to check out the Mountain Dew labeling when you go to the store next time Laura.

I bought the caffeine free pop again and I have a friggin headache. :mad:

Oh, only in clear pop? Do you know why that is? I was checking diet coke and root beer and the generic brands of each, because that's all I drink. I'll check next time. The caffeine free pop gives you a headache? You'd think it would be the opposite, maybe they replace it with something else that's bad or something. Just like how diet pop replaces sugar with aspertame (but I still drink it)...... :rolleyes: Oh well, need some guilty pleasures in life!

So Meridia is a SSRI and an appetite control drug? Do they prescribe it for depression as well then? Haven't heard of it as being an anti-depressant... but what do I know. I am not a pharmacist!!! (yet!!!)

UCFGrad said:
So Meridia is a SSRI and an appetite control drug? Do they prescribe it for depression as well then? Haven't heard of it as being an anti-depressant... but what do I know. I am not a pharmacist!!! (yet!!!)

I'm not sure if it's used as an anti-depressant but when i was looking it up, I kept reading that since it works on your nervous system, that doctors can also prescribe it for a few various neurological problems, but they didn't specify which.

I think the major reuptake inhibition is on Norepi. Serotonin and Dopamine is to a lesser extent, and, thus, its greater effectiveness for appetite control than depression.

GravyRPH said:
I think the major reuptake inhibition is on Norepi. Serotonin and Dopamine is to a lesser extent, and, thus, its greater effectiveness for appetite control than depression.

So what other neurological disorders do you think it would treat? Besides appetite problems?

Maybe resistant depression? Narcolepsy? I have only seen it used for appetite supression, so to be honest, I'm not sure. We don't get much diet medication use in the hospital setting.

laura_mideon said:
The caffeine free pop gives you a headache?
Caffeine withdrawl is giving me a headache. :)

I am currently watching a blurb on the evening news about a convenience store in Seattle who is still selling packets of ephedra products. So... the newscaster is in the studio holding the ephedra packets from the store. Did he buy them or steal them? :rolleyes:

bananaface said:
Caffeine withdrawl is giving me a headache. :)

I am currently watching a blurb on the evening news about a convenience store in Seattle who is still selling packets of ephedra products. So... the newscaster is in the studio holding the ephedra packets from the store. Did he buy them or steal them? :rolleyes:

Well ephedrine is illegal here too, but the other day I was at a nutrition store and they had ephedrine, they said there is only one way to sell them that is not illegal. If it is in a package (not a bottle) and has less than 50 pills that are each 8mg or less and contain no caffeine, then it is still legal.

I went to Walmart today, and I looked at all the clear pops I could find, Sprite, ginger ale, etc...couldn't find mountain dew....but none of the have caffeine in them. You guys are right, that's so weird that they have it in the states but not here. :confused:

I try to lose weight with both and if you stop taking them the effects are reversed, I stopped taking them because I read that they can affect your thyroid