Question about what counts immediate family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1106891

For the question, "Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?"

What if they were my grandparents? I live with my grandparents and my parents together. Would my grandparents being on fed/state assistance programs count as YES for this question?

Members don't see this ad.

For the question, "Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?"

What if they were my grandparents? I live with my grandparents and my parents together. Would my grandparents being on fed/state assistance programs count as YES for this question?
No. The question asks about your immediate family, while you want to answer with respect to your household. They aren't asking about who you live with. They are specifically asking about your immediate family, which has a very specific definition. It's really just your parents, siblings, spouse and children, but the government uses a somewhat broader definition, which still doesn't include grandparents, who are just one generation too far removed, in the wrong direction!

Immediate family: The federal government broadly defines immediate family as “spouse, parent, child, sibling, mother- or father-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, or sister- or brother-in-law, including step and adoptive relationships.”

Last edited: