Question about work experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drvetschool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working at both a vet clinic and in the laboratory of a human hospital (as a lab assistant and the hospital phlebotomist.) I keep the hospital job because it pays my bills, but how much could it actually help me, if at all, when it comes time to apply for vet schools? I understand they are "two separate worlds" but I honestly feel a hospital is a hospital, and there should be a shared sense of urgency. I don't think it's so far of a stretch, but maybe that's just me.

The vet I work for does not seem to agree, and does not feel that my work experience in the hospital has any usable skills.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently working at both a vet clinic and in the laboratory of a human hospital (as a lab assistant and the hospital phlebotomist.) I keep the hospital job because it pays my bills, but how much could it actually help me, if at all, when it comes time to apply for vet schools? I understand they are "two separate worlds" but I honestly feel a hospital is a hospital, and there should be a shared sense of urgency. I don't think it's so far of a stretch, but maybe that's just me.

The vet I work for does not seem to agree, and does not feel that my work experience in the hospital has any usable skills.

What do you guys think?

How many vet hours do you have right now? How's your variety - LA, SA, equine, etc? Are you in school?

You could spend 40 hrs per week working as a mime in the city park, and it wouldn't hurt you.* Work is work. Adcoms understand you have bills to pay, and unique work experiences will actually be more of an asset than a hindrance. No matter what you are doing, you're learning valuable skills - teamwork, communication, record keeping, etc. I wouldn't worry at all about your lab job.

* At least, this is my opinion from my application experience. If there are any mimes out there than can contest this . . .

Reactions: 4 users
It may not be 100% transferable skill-wise, but I would think in a hospital setting you are learning important skills that will follow you into any health profession. Drawing blood, I'm sure you've had lots of training about blood borne pathogens and infection control protocols. Interacting with patients is an important soft skill. I think your vet was just being narrow minded. Your hospital job won't add to your veterinary or animal experience sections on the VMCAS but those are just two parts of a very long application that does ask about other work experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any outside of vet med job, I think, just depends on how you sell it. I was a traditional student but worked a ton of non-vet jobs during undergrad to pay my bills. Even in the descriptions on vmcas I made sure to sell the skills I gained from them, and improvements I made. Talked a lot about them in my PS and supplemental essays, too. N=1, but it worked.

Imo, vet schools want you to have experience so you know what you're getting into, and grades so they feel you can make it through the curriculum and pass the navle. Everything else can - and should - be used to convince them you're going to be a good vet who progresses our profession.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends upon the experience you have in terms of time. You are working means you are qualified for that...just work on the marketing skills to better represent your journey

Good Luck!

Worked as a staff member in residence life at my undergrad for a year after I graduated. No vet experience whatsoever during that time. It's the experience I talked about the most at my interview.

Non-vet med jobs can definitely be an asset on an application. There's more to vet med than drawing blood and running tests.

I second the comments above. I worked full time in an aerospace lab while getting veterinary experience after work and weekends. Most people are in the same boat as you are. In my case, I have a family and quitting my nicely paid job to volunteer or even work at a vet clinic was not an option for me. Many, many people on here have had jobs unrelated to veterinary medicine while applying, and I think it gives you perspective and a unique story. Just my 2 cents. :)

As someone who had almost all non-veterinary work experience, I think that there's very much a place for outside work experience, as long as you can explain what you learned and how you think it's transferrable. Be ready to answer those questions, though.

As far as it being a human hospital job specifically, I'm surprised no one here has mentioned One Health. Sure, there are a lot of differences, but it's still medicine. I'd imagine that exposure to human medicine could only help you -- in both the application process (as long as you also meet the vet experience requirements for your target schools), AND in your career.

Do you have any interest in continuing to work with MDs/DOs after vet school? Lots of vets work hand in hand with human health professionals in academic and research settings.

sent from ma fone