Question about working for Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I am supposed to start the Teacher Development Program for Kaplan this coming wednesday. I am basically trying to work part-time to full-time for Kaplan during the day and having most of my nights/weekends free. I am starting to think maybe I should try to be a Kaplan private tutor instead of a classroom instructor because I feel like there will be more teaching opportunities during the day if I go that route. But I think the training programs are different for the two. Does anyone know if they have two separate training programs and what the hours, pay difference is between the two? Has anyone done the Kaplan Private Tutor training and have good things to say about it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the training programs are different but I don't know much about them. Anyone else know anything?

I know for my Kaplan center, teachers get $20 an hour and tutors get $25. However, I wouldn't count on getting a lot of tutoring hours during the day - students are in school. Maybe if you were tutoring for grad classes? Although they probably work/have school during the day also. My trainer mentioned something about tutoring to us and I think he just said it's a short training course, so I think once you're already trained to teach classes you can just take the tutoring course in one day or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took the teacher training at kaplan. then, they said i was automatically already trained for tutoring. since i finished the teacher training, i've taken on two tutoring assignments, both SAT. i actually don't know the difference in pay because i haven't asked.

so, at least at my center, teacher training covers both teaching and tutoring.

I'm supposed to start Kaplan tutor training soon, as well. We get paid 12$/hr (plus mileage and planning hours) for the first x number of lessons, and then 15$/hr after that. Our training schedule is four, four hours sessions, and a tutor-back lesson. so.....I dunno. I obviously haven't started actual training yet, so I don't that much.

baylorshannon said:
I'm supposed to start Kaplan tutor training soon, as well. We get paid 12$/hr (plus mileage and planning hours) for the first x number of lessons, and then 15$/hr after that. Our training schedule is four, four hours sessions, and a tutor-back lesson. so.....I dunno. I obviously haven't started actual training yet, so I don't that much.
you get reimbursed for mileage?? i need to talk to my boss about that, because i drive probably 90 miles a week to tutor.