question and a story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmypop

big "member"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
one random question and one random story with a question.

random question 1st: anyone know if I will have to use my scientific calculator in med school??? I'm selling a bunch of crap I dont need (or think I dont need) cuz I'm in need of bank and cleaning out my house. its a TI-86 and I haven't used it since who knows when

now for the story:
wow, this is gonna sound very cliche but its true, haha (as for me I'm already accepted to a school and thats where I'm going). a good friend in one of my classes has been accepted to one school and put on a alternate list at another. The school he has been accepted to is a fair ways from home and he would prefer to stay near home, which also happens to be near the school he was put on the alternate list. The far away school starts in june while the close one starts in august. His plan is to start at the far away one and "not tell" the other school that he has done so and hope that he gets taken off the alternate list and offered a spot. If he does he says he will ask the school for a refund and start at the close to home school in august. Sounds crazy to me and I'm mostly curious if anyone has heard of this being done/attempted.

Members don't see this ad.

one random question and one random story with a question.

random question 1st: anyone know if I will have to use my scientific calculator in med school??? I'm selling a bunch of crap I dont need (or think I dont need) cuz I'm in need of bank and cleaning out my house. its a TI-86 and I haven't used it since who knows when

now for the story:
wow, this is gonna sound very cliche but its true, haha (as for me I'm already accepted to a school and thats where I'm going). a good friend in one of my classes has been accepted to one school and put on a alternate list at another. The school he has been accepted to is a fair ways from home and he would prefer to stay near home, which also happens to be near the school he was put on the alternate list. The far away school starts in june while the close one starts in august. His plan is to start at the far away one and "not tell" the other school that he has done so and hope that he gets taken off the alternate list and offered a spot. If he does he says he will ask the school for a refund and start at the close to home school in august. Sounds crazy to me and I'm mostly curious if anyone has heard of this being done/attempted.

even if he "doesn't tell," med schools know. as of now, they can see all the schools to which you are accepted, and after may 15th, they'll know which you plan to matriculate to barring wl movement. it is also common practice for a school accepting a student off a waitilist to inform the school they are currently planning to attend. in the scenario you mentioned, your friend (lol) would never get off the waitlist from the nearby school if he's already begun orientation/classes. best case is that school will decide they want him, check their records to see he has already matriculated, and move on to the next waitlisted student.