Question for all the Marines out there

Started by skeeter
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skeeter

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a recent college grad (English Lit 3.1 GPA at UC Riverside) and I'm contracted to go to OCS in January 2008 as a Student Naval Aviator. I'll more than likely switch over to ground sometime during OCS or even at TBS, because of the 10 or so years I'd have to serve as an aviator compared with 4 on the ground.


I have a very strong interest in being a doctor and attending medical school after I leave from active duty. As an undergrad, I covered all my bases when it came to graduate schools. I a few business and econ classes to cover Business school, my English major would be an asset for Law, and I've taken year of G-chem,yr of O-Chem, Bio chem,yr of Physics, a year of into bio and a few upper div bio classes to satisfy any pre-reqs for the health sciences.


I was wondering if there were any educational opportunities in the fleet so that I could perhaps retake biochem and o-chem and polish up a other few lower grades in the sciences.

Is there an ideal ground MOS that would help me take advantage of these (if any) educational opportunities?

Is there any gound MOS (preferably in the Combat Arms/Intel) that would best prepare a prospective med student? (I know this is a fairly wierd question, but any MOS advice is welcomed)

Thanks!
 
Congratulations on going to OCS! I am a fourth year medical student, and former Infantry Officer. I think that you are going to have your hands full with the Op tempo of the Corps, and, as always, 1% of your Marines will take 90% of your time!
My advice is do your job well, once your active duty is over, do well on the MCAT, and excell at medical school.
Hope that helps.
 
Welcome to the Corps! I am a former intel bubba, starting med school in a week+. An ultra rear-echelon MOS like financial management or public affairs may afford you the extra time to take classes at a local community college... but I wouldn't recommend it. Adcoms will not think highly of any classes you take at a community college. My advise it to go for an MOS that excites you and just focus on being a great officer. I would highly recommend combat arms or logistics. If you have what it takes, you might consider infantry. When I was at TBS, the IOC students did weekend rotations through various trauma centers in the DC area to get exposure to penetrating trauma. Avoid intel. Everyone thinks it's super sexy, but it's not (even humint and scout sniper officers spent most of their time in meetings and pushing power point slides around a computer).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Former Marine aviator, now guard bum extrodinaire while I am doing a post-bac. If you know this is the path you want to follow, I would highly encourage you to drop your flight contract before OCS/TBS. There are more than a few guys who are contracting ground who would like that spot, and it will be too late once you all show up. That also may not look stellar to your Plt Cmdr at TBS who has a big say in MOS assignment for ground contracts. Good luck!
 
Thanks gentlemen!

Its been a while since my original post and I've had a good amount of time to think things through and let my mind settle.

I switched my SNA contract over to SNFO. I have a strong interest in aviation and the fact that Naval Flight Officers in the Corps only do jets really appeals to me.

After my commitment, I think I'll have a good case for medical school. I'll probably start studying for the MCAT now since all I do now is work at a dental office and workout.

Oh, any tips for decreasing your run time? I've run into a wall at 22:00.


Regards.