question for canadian students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Canadian students!

A friend of mine from Japan wants to take science classes for her dental school preparation in Canada.
She is planning to apply for school in US but needs to take classes in Canada due to her visa STATUS. I can recommend her some schools in US but have no idea about schools in Canana. :confused:

Do you guys know any good school in Canada especially in Montreal to take predental courses? Is there any state school with inexpensive tuition in Canada?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, every school in Canada is a "state school" because they are heavily funded by the government. There is no such thing as a private university...yet.

In Montreal there is McGill (my alma mater) and Concordia. These are the 2 English universities there. Concordia is known to be "easier" but McGill has a much better name. In Toronto I would recommend York, not UofT.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, EHA DDS.
Since you are from Montreal, can I ask you how much it will be for studio in Montreal? I know it will be tough to answer. However, it will be great if I can tell her approx. figures. Any info/recommendation near Concordia/ Mcgill regarding accomodation?

I really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
A studio in the McGill Ghetto can range anywhere from 500-800 and it's a bit cheaper near Concordia. If you want to broaden your horizons and save money I would recommend the Plateau district...much nicer neighbourhoods, bigger apts. and cheaper rent.

if your friend is a non-canadian, expect to pay higher-than-usual foreign student fees at university. Probably still cheaper than most american schools though. And if you don't mind me asking, what will be accomplished by obtaining a DDS/DMD in the US without citizenship in either US or Canada?

I've been to Queen's in Kingston and UWO here in London, Ontario. Either of these schools seem to have decent undergrad programs, and probably cheaper cost-of-living than Toronto or Montreal.

US and Canadian DDS/DMD programs are considered equivalent. I also think that immigration to Canada is easier. In Montreal I reccommend Mcgill - It has pre dental courses as well as a dental school.

Quebec , as far as I know, has the lowest university tuition fees and one of the lowest costs of living. There are 4 universities in Montreal- 2 french ( l'Universite de Montreal -my alma mater- and Universite de Quebec a Montreal)- which I doubt your friend would attend...and then there are 2 english speaking universities. Personally speaking, I attended McGill University which has a diverse international student population where I think your friend would feel more at ease. In addition, McGill University is often called the "Harvard of the North" and is internationally reknown for its faculties of medicine, law and for medical research. It has produced one of the highest number of Rhodes scholars then the other Canadian universities
( if that means anything to your friend) Anyone who is in academia in the US knows McGill's reputation (here I go sounding all snobby but it is true). One of the greatest programs offered in the faculty of science at McGill is the "microbiology & immunology" program (which I studied) and I think it is an EXCELLENT foundation not only because it is an absolutely fascinating field but it is also good for those interested in either entering research/medicine/dentistry.

McGill's reputation has been slipping in the past few years and some studies, notably, the infamous MacClean magazine's annual review of universities, has been rating the University of Toronto as the best university for those interested in any health related field. But lately, McGill's alumni foundation is pretty strong and aggressive so there has been a lot of money being poured into the construction of new facilities which have all started after I graduated, such as the Wong Materials Sciences building ( for chemical engineering and other engineering programs), the Trottier Building ( a new biotech building), the The Montreal Genomics and Proteomics Centre and Jamson T.N. Wong Laboratories for Bone and Periodontal Research (MGPC),Nahum Gelber Law Library...and that's of the few that I know of.

But don't assume that reputation is everything. I know someone who completed a B.Sc at Concordia, did his DDS at McGill ( where he graduated top of his class with numerous awards) and went onto oral surgery in the US where he also achieved numerous awards.

Montreal is a great party town- it's Canada's equivalent to NYC but without the guns and without the large population. There are so many great restaurants, cafes, festivals in the summer, and more. And it is extremely safe to walk in the downtown area- there are always pedestrians out at night.

In summary, I think, what really matters is what the student makes of him/herself in whichever university he/she chooses. I personally have fond memories of my McGill experience.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

:) Thanks a lot for your friendly advice, guys!

Smilemaker: I already knew that Mcgill is a great school. You just confrimed it :) I appreciate your detailed information!

Frank: as far as I know, citizenship doesn't matter in admission. (I mean.. for many private dental schools.) All you have to do is to complete predental courses, take DAT and meet all the requirements like all other applicants. I guess non native speakers need to verify English fluency by getting excellent GPA and DAT score like my friend.