question for current CCOMers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xTinaBna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

For those of you currently at CCOM, I was wondering where do most 3rd/4th years live for rotations? Is it possible to live in one location for the clinical years? I was hoping to stay in the city for all of 3rd/4th year and commute where ever the rotation sites are, but i just was wondering if there are current students who are doing this now :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

For those of you currently at CCOM, I was wondering where do most 3rd/4th years live for rotations? Is it possible to live in one location for the clinical years? I was hoping to stay in the city for all of 3rd/4th year and commute where ever the rotation sites are, but i just was wondering if there are current students who are doing this now :) thanks!

I am a current fourth year at CCOM. I currently live on the northside in Chicago, near the Lakeview/Uptown border. I have lived here for the past two years. Before that I lived closer to downtown in the South Loop area. During first year I lived in Villa Park. Anyhow, I would say that half to two thirds of the third and fourth years live in the city limits of Chicago, and the rest in the burbs. Most started out in the burbs near campus for the first and second years, but I bucked that trend becuase I just cant do the suburbs. But to answer your question, it is possible to live in the same place for all four years if you wanted to. All of our rotations are in the Chicagoland area, so they are all driveable. If you live out in the burbs, you can schedule most roations near you, and likewise for the city. I know there are a lot of DO schools out there, especially the rinky dink new ones, that make you move across the region or state for rotations, but not at CCOM.

Hope that answers everything. If you have any more questions, ask away.

I am a current fourth year at CCOM. I currently live on the northside in Chicago, near the Lakeview/Uptown border. I have lived here for the past two years. Before that I lived closer to downtown in the South Loop area. During first year I lived in Villa Park. Anyhow, I would say that half to two thirds of the third and fourth years live in the city limits of Chicago, and the rest in the burbs. Most started out in the burbs near campus for the first and second years, but I bucked that trend becuase I just cant do the suburbs. But to answer your question, it is possible to live in the same place for all four years if you wanted to. All of our rotations are in the Chicagoland area, so they are all driveable. If you live out in the burbs, you can schedule most roations near you, and likewise for the city. I know there are a lot of DO schools out there, especially the rinky dink new ones, that make you move across the region or state for rotations, but not at CCOM.

Hope that answers everything. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Hey thanks for such good info! yeah i think i want to live on campus at least for the first year..but i really wanted to live in the city some where for at least my last 2 years if not the remaining 3 years. If you live in the city, how long would you say the average commute will be during 3rd year? i know 4th year is more flexible and you can schedule it with the hospital you choose, but i wasn't sure how your 3rd year core rotations sites were set up. Thanks again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for such good info! yeah i think i want to live on campus at least for the first year..but i really wanted to live in the city some where for at least my last 2 years if not the remaining 3 years. If you live in the city, how long would you say the average commute will be during 3rd year? i know 4th year is more flexible and you can schedule it with the hospital you choose, but i wasn't sure how your 3rd year core rotations sites were set up. Thanks again! :)

Commutes can very greatly, depending on where you live, where you are going, roads you have to take, time you leave, etc. Like I said earlier, most of the rotations are in the Chicagoland area. The rotation sites are decided by a lottery. So if you live in the city, most often you would rank places that are closer higher, and vice versa if you live in the burbs. Usually the lottery works out well for most people. Third year, I only had one or two rotations where I would have a commute greater than 30 minutes each way. Fourth year I have only had one.

Going back to the rotations, the third and fourth year core sites and available rotations are the same. You have 1 elective your third year, and 5 your fourth year. For these rotations, you do whatever you want to do, and wherever you want. If that means one of the more academic hopsitals in Chicago, or some clinic in Ecuador, the world is your oyster. The rest of the rotations are the ones decided in the lottery, and those are the ones in which the school has agreements with. Hope this helps.

Here is a link, you can see the various sites and such by clicking on departments.

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/academic/CCOMClinEd/index.htm

Can anyone comment on the CCOM health insurance plan?