Question for Current COMP Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a WA resident and as I understand it I have the option to apply to COMP either through NW Track or normally. My grades and MCAT scores are fine, so I think I would be competitive either way. Which would you recommend strictly considering quality of rotations?

I have some interest in returning to the NW for my residency (in which case doing rotations in the NW might make some sense), but I would rather do my rotations in So. Cal. (which I've heard are awesome) if they're a lot better than the NW rotations COMP has set up for NW Track students.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
okayplayer said:
Hey guys,

I am a WA resident and as I understand it I have the option to apply to COMP either through NW Track or normally. My grades and MCAT scores are fine, so I think I would be competitive either way. Which would you recommend strictly considering quality of rotations?

I have some interest in returning to the NW for my residency (in which case doing rotations in the NW might make some sense), but I would rather do my rotations in So. Cal. (which I've heard are awesome) if they're a lot better than the NW rotations COMP has set up for NW Track students.

Thanks for the help!
Jake
I can't help you with that one because I don't know how good the NW rotations are...but what I can tell you is that some of my NW classmates wish they didn't do NW and just applied regularly because you just can't beat the California weather! :)

Hmm...That's a tough call. Since DO2008 is the first class with Northwest Track students, it's largely unproven. No one will know how good these Northwest rotations will be. With my current understanding, through Northwest Track, you are obligated to do your rotations at the prescribed sites in the Pacific Northwest area as a caveat for admission. However, one thing I learned here is to never take anyone in administration at their word. I'm pretty sure other arrangements could be made if you really wanted to do Southern California rotations. People who want to do their rotations can probably swap with you when the time comes.
As it stands now, (I'm DO2007) most of us are restricted to select hospitals and clinics in and around the Southern California area for our third year. The only out of state rotations circuits are in Colorado, Philadelphia, and Florida. But, for Residencies, it's typically the 4th year rotations that matter most. In our 4th Year, we're free to go anywhere. So pick the route that you feel suits you best. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got approved for (and turned down) the NW track option at COMP. My understanding (and this is by no means fact) is that you are doing rotations in the NW (likely where ever you came from, so I guess WA in your case) mainly to supply the area with a physician once you're done. So my guess is you'll focus more on family medicine, internal medicine, peds, etc. vs some other specialized area. I personally was uninterested in serving in rural Idaho (where I came from) so I turned down the NW track option. I didn't even actually apply for it (checked the "no" box on the secondary), but got approved for it anyway based solely on the fact that I was from Idaho and graduated from an Idaho university. I also want to specialize in hem/onc, so I figured it was less likely that I could accomplishment that in rural Idaho. :) Again, none of this is fact, but merely my perception of what the NW track entailed. Perhaps someone else will have more info for you. Good luck!

okayplayer said:
anyone else?

Anyone else... how about this guy: [email protected]. His name is Dirk Foley and is the coordinator of the northwest track. He'll tell you what hospitals they currently have and how they are looking to expand.

I think that part of this decision should be based on what you want to specialize in. You'll have to determine if doing rotations in the northwest will help you get the residency that you want. If you think not, I think it's a safe bet to do your rotations in CA; you can always do some 4th year rotations in the NW.

okayplayer said:
I sent Dirk an email...still wondering about any current experiences of COMP/NW Track students.

Thanks,
Jake

I'm not a NW track student, since it was instituted after I started school, but I've done some rotations in Portland and I have some contacts there. I'm currently a fourth year, originally from Montana, and probably would have spent 3rd and 4th years up north if something more had been organized (and I didn't hate moving :thumbdown: ).

I disagree with what someone wrote about NW track rotations being geared to focus more on Primary Care. Almost every third year rotation and a number of fourth year rotations are REQUIRED-- you are going to get the basics of primary care medicine if you rotate in CA or elsewhere (Medicine, Peds, Surgery, FP, etc). I think the NW track is like untouched territory-- there are a number of doctors in tons of specialities who are anxious to have students. And, since the only AOA approved residency program there (in Portland) closed, people who have a real commitment to medical education are willing to bend over backwards to make things happen for students. I have a list of 17 physicians, from Radiology to Neuro to Surgery to FP, who have agreed to take students in Roseburg, Oregon. If you want to do a rotation in something very specialized, the obvously you can't do it in rural USA, but the resources exist for you to do what you want. I know someone who just graduated and spent pretty much his whole 4th year in Spokane, where he'll be starting his residency this month (he's doing medicine and will be going on for Gastro). I think it really depends on where you want to live for 2 years of school-- you'll find good (and bad) rotations anyplace you rotate. Just my 2 cents.

Dirk is a good guy and he'll be able to give you more details about what exactly is lined up where.

Best of luck.
Laloz.