Question for current DMU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racerx

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is a pre-osteo type question, but I figured I'd get a larger response where the OMS reside.

I am very interested in DMU and have submitted the AACOMAS, with DMU listed. However, before filling out a secondary and sending more money, I have a question regarding 3rd and 4th year rotations. I looked for a mention of rotation sites on the DMU website, and found nothing, zero, nada, zilch. Are they all away from Des Moines? If not, is there a possibility that a married guy with two school aged kids can get Des Moines based rotations?

Thanks in advance.

racerx

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of available rotations are away from Des Moines. There just isn't enouhg spots for the whole class. That being said, The school is working on expanding the amount of position locally. Also I spoke with our 3rd year coordinator about this very question and he said that there is a 75% chance of staying put for the 3rd year. If you are concerned about it another option for 3rd year id to do the Ohio CORE. This keeps you in one spot for all of 3rd year. And with sme creative scheduling I am sure you can manage to get 4th year in the same spot. Don't take this as the total 100% gauranteed trth but it is about the best you'll hear. That is the problem with all DO schools..none havea hospital and every student has to do "away" rotations. Is staying in one spot doable, yes, would I bet the house on it, No.

you can get most of your rotations in des moines. worst case scenario, you may have to go to a location a couple hours away for a month or two - but if you pick one with free housing, it's not the worst thing in the world.

peds and ob rotations seem to be the most difficult to get in des moines. there are spots here, but it takes a little luck to nab one.

an alternative being, come here during 1st and 2nd year, go to ohio for 3rd year (as mentioned above) or i have a few friends doing their entire third year in michigan.

oh - you can also request an exemption from the lottery if you have childcare or other issues, which then guarantees you a des moines spot for your core hospital and clinic.

good luck with all of your upcoming decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
the ace said:
you can get most of your rotations in des moines. worst case scenario, you may have to go to a location a couple hours away for a month or two - but if you pick one with free housing, it's not the worst thing in the world.

peds and ob rotations seem to be the most difficult to get in des moines. there are spots here, but it takes a little luck to nab one.

an alternative being, come here during 1st and 2nd year, go to ohio for 3rd year (as mentioned above) or i have a few friends doing their entire third year in michigan.

oh - you can also request an exemption from the lottery if you have childcare or other issues, which then guarantees you a des moines spot for your core hospital and clinic.

good luck with all of your upcoming decisions.

I just graduated from DMU last month and I agree with everything said in the above posts with the exception of the exemption part of it. Unless things have drastically changed, there is no exemption that guarantees you rotations in Des Moines. As I remember from my second year it is a lottery that may leave you with a rotation elsewhere. There was a girl in my class with two children under the age of 5, I believe and a husband doing graduate work at a local University and she got her rotations in PA. Thankfully for her another classmate switched with her so that she could stay in DSM. Every year there are many people with similar circumstances of family, spouses with jobs, etc that there is no way to guarantee all your rotations in DSM, hence why so many with families just head over to Ohio so they don't have to worry about having rotations split up at various locations.

If you're not picky, you can set up rotations in Iowa. I spend most of my fourth year there and even though it was never a guaranteed to stay, I was able to find rotations to stay in Des Moines and local cities.

I say turn in your secondary and consider DMU. There's never anything guaranteed in life... If other schools are "guaranteeing" you something, I say demand it in writing. I'm not trying to be cynical but I've had friends who decided not to go to DMU and went to other schools and were screwed with their rotations and ended up going all over the nation any way.

If you put effort in setting up your rotations ahead of time and do your research with the local docs and the requirements of DMU, you will be able to stay in Iowa for the most part. Work with your clinical coordinators, they will be your friends during the third and fourth year. Though, I can guarantee you that you may need to go some place for a month or two... but in the end you'll be happy with DMU's selection of sites and their openness for doing rotations.

Later, :cool:

Thanks! I appreciate all of your responses. It looks like I'll be sending that secondary. :)