Question for current med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just as lame as the OP. It's been a while since I've had a science class, so I am looking at some things before hand just so that I can get in the right frame of mind to read scientific material. I'll be going to a school that starts with anatomy and unit 1 is the back and limbs. I read some last night and it felt good just to read something like that and get used to wrapping my mind around some anatomy text. Worth it? Who knows. It makes me feel better and I'm having a hard time believing that any professor's specific approach to anatomy is going to mean that I'm reading the wrong info. I'm pretty sure bones, muscles, nerves and vasculature and named ligaments are going to be included in the syllabus, no? Anyone out there read up on the topic before going to lecture? I hear that this is done by many a student, and I consider this the same. Low yield? Perhaps. Is it a pass over the material? Yup.

Members don't see this ad.

OP this is not your last summer, it is not something that will never be there again, it is a time that you have before jumping into a serious training program that will change you for good or bad. Enjoy the time that is free. Do something wonderful that you always wanted to do. Now throughout med school and beyond keep that attitude...do something wonderful you always wanted to do. The training makes it trickier though so a lot of your time in med school will be trying to figure out a balance between career plans/significant other/family/personal interests that work for you. Its do able. I know a lot of people who are doing it. I can say you learn really quickly what you need on all fronts and then you learn how to make that happen.

As for getting ahead...well most of your exams will be on material presented to you in class. If you really want to do this then try and find a current first year and get material off of them to look at.

Warning: the amount of material they can give you will be A LOT. This might freak you out before school starts. I don't recommend it.

ALOT.png

Last edited:
I'm just as lame as the OP. It's been a while since I've had a science class, so I am looking at some things before hand just so that I can get in the right frame of mind to read scientific material. I'll be going to a school that starts with anatomy and unit 1 is the back and limbs. I read some last night and it felt good just to read something like that and get used to wrapping my mind around some anatomy text. Worth it? Who knows. It makes me feel better and I'm having a hard time believing that any professor's specific approach to anatomy is going to mean that I'm reading the wrong info. I'm pretty sure bones, muscles, nerves and vasculature and named ligaments are going to be included in the syllabus, no? Anyone out there read up on the topic before going to lecture? I hear that this is done by many a student, and I consider this the same. Low yield? Perhaps. Is it a pass over the material? Yup.

Anatomy is mostly memorization and spacial conceptualization. Get Netters if you want to get ahead and memorize everything in it = anatomy course. Again my personal advice on doing this is mentioned in my previous post.

P.S. I literally mean EVERYTHING, insertions, innervation, vascular supply venous and arterial etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy is mostly memorization and spacial conceptualization. Get Netters if you want to get ahead and memorize everything in it = anatomy course. Again my personal advice on doing this is mentioned in my previous post.

P.S. I literally mean EVERYTHING, insertions, innervation, vascular supply venous and arterial etc.

I started reading a little bit in Gray's (just b/c I wanted some explanatory text to ease myself into the massive memorization--which luckily I've done some of that before). But this is what I meant...it is not hard to guess what you may have to know for anatomy. Everything. I'd be a little more hesitant about reading at all for any other class...but it's anatomy. Not a lot of context required, therefore it may be of some benefit to look at it. (not necessarily recommended as mentioned by everyone here...but not necessarily a complete waste, either).

I might have to disagree with the general consensus here. Pre-studying for M1 is no different than a special master's program or a post-bacc program w/ medical classes. The only problem with pre-studying before M1 is you are not sure whether it is testable material or not, thus some of your time spent may be wasted on superfluous information. This is the only place there is risk.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, the next two years of your life will be filled with reading and an influx of information. You'll look back and wish you'd just enjoyed this time while you can still function and have fun socially without the guilt of knowing you should be studying.

In all seriousness, the next two years of your life will be filled with reading and an influx of information. You'll look back and wish you'd just enjoyed this time while you can still function and have fun socially without the guilt of knowing you should be studying.

:thumbup:

Absolutely no point in studying at this point. If anything you could set yourself up for pre-mature burnout.

Meh. I can read them better than most IM attendings, and it's no benefit, at least not for course exams or step 1.

Using your precious summer free time to master any one thing isn't going to give you much of an edge. The exams will be particular to the lecture material presented, not whether you understand things (sad as that is...). Then by the time shelves and step 1 come around, your understanding of the subject has faded, while everyone has basically caught up. You're no better off.

So forget about it, it's not worth it. I say, for the love of god, it's NOT worth it.

[youtube]rKTN5NHfwlQ[/youtube]
Agreed! Just enjoy your summer! And awesome choice of video.

The better question is, why are you not playing Skyrim right now?

I can't because Step 1 is coming up. Feels bad man.
I want to play ME3, dammit! I am just going to wait until the summer at this point, though.

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet.

Many schools start with anatomy so clearly it should be your primary goal to obtain several dead bodies, bring them to your basement, and begin pouring over Netter's.
:rofl:

I'm also going to be starting medical school this year. I'm like you. I'm really excited about starting and I want to do something. I guess we spent the last four years or more always doing something to help us get into medical school and now we are having withdrawals. Lol. So, I plan on working out, getting in great shape, and learning how to cook simple/fast healthy meals. Right now my cooking skills include pouring cereal and putting things in the microwave. I thinking being in shape and learning how to stay that way even during stressful exam periods will be way more helpful then pre-studying.

Also, learning Spanish would be really helpful. Knowing a foreign language is going to make you an attractive applicant in any career. We are going to be memorizing tons of facts and I fee llearning a foreign language would be a good way to keep your mind fresh. I know it takes me a few days to adjust to learning again once my mind has spent three months playing video games. Finally, if you feel you should do SOMETHING related to the medical school curriculum I would try and get my hands on a syllabus or something. Rather than learn WHAT they are teaching see HOW they plan on presenting the material. At least then you have a better idea of what you are walking into and you can formulate how you are going to approach the material for the first week or so. Then again I'm not sure how helpful that will be. But really, enjoy the summer. You made it!

Last edited:
I'm also going to be starting medical school this year. I'm like you. I'm really excited about starting and I want to do something. I guess we spent the last four years or more always doing something to help us get into medical school and now we are having withdrawals. Lol. So, I plan on working out, getting in great shape, and learning how to cook simple/fast healthy meals. Right now my cooking skills include pouring cereal and putting things in the microwave. I thinking being in shape and learning how to stay that way even during stressful exam periods will be way more helpful then pre-studying.

Also, learning Spanish would be really helpful. Knowing a foreign language is going to make you an attractive applicant in any career. We are going to be memorizing tons of facts and I fee llearning a foreign language would be a good way to keep your mind fresh. I know it takes me a few days to adjust to learning again once my mind has spent three months playing video games. Finally, if you feel you should do SOMETHING related to the medical school curriculum I would try and get my hands on a syllabus or something. Rather than learn WHAT they are teaching see HOW they plan on presenting the material. At least then you have a better idea of what you are walking into and you can formulate how you are going to approach the material for the first week or so. Then again I'm not sure how helpful that will be. But really, enjoy the summer. You made it!
A reasonable MS0, a rare species.

Would be pretty helpful to know the autonomic nervous system inside and out. It is pretty well understood, it's useful for all types of pathology, all drugs, all specialties, everything, and yet few people have a good handle on it.