Question for current pharmacy students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmnj06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had two classes to retake to get prepared for P1 which ones would you retake. Chem1-Organic1, Chem1-Chem2, Organic1-Organic2? Or maybe another combination? I graduated a couple of years back so I decided to retake two classes in the summer before I start pharmacy school in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I say don't take any classes unless you have too. If you have nothing else to do, then physiology and biochemistry would be better than the ones you listed above...but this is going to depend on your specific future program.

If you had two classes to retake to get prepared for P1 which ones would you retake. Chem1-Organic1, Chem1-Chem2, Organic1-Organic2? Or maybe another combination? I graduated a couple of years back so I decided to retake two classes in the summer before I start pharmacy school in the fall.

I'm not sure why you want to retake, but of the above I'd vote for chemI/Orgo I. But, I'm with the other poster - biochem, immuno, micro, a/p - would be much more useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why you want to retake, but of the above I'd vote for chemI/Orgo I. But, I'm with the other poster - biochem, immuno, micro, a/p - would be much more useful.

Well I completed my B.S degree a couple of years ago, I did pretty well in biochem, immuno, etc, but the classes I struggled in were chem and ochem. Since I have some free time before I start in the fall I figured I could brush up.

i am P1, but i suggest gen chem II and o-chem I
:)
u also can take biochem

how about physiology and pharmacology? both of which can be found in undergrad and they give you a distinct advantage if you have already taken them in undergrad because to be honest, you have SO much more free time to spend on a class that important.

O-chem nah, topics from ochem not emphasized enough to even rethink about looking at your organistry notes

gen chem - nah. It helps in calculations and compounding, but if you can tell me how many moles of Carbon are in 12 g of Carbon, you should be fine.

Biochem, A&P, Microbio

It depends on your strengths and weaknesses, how long ago you took those courses, and how many credits they are in pharmacy school. In P1, biochem was 3 credits, med chem was 2 credits, and A/P was 5 credits. So I would have done A/P because it would have led to a higher increase in GPA.

I also would have taken a Spanish course because I just forgot so much of my Spanish since starting pharmacy school. I used to be able to make small talk with people, but now I've forgotten too much.

So if I could go back in time, I'd take A/P and Spanish 4.

Neither. Your first year is somewhat of a review to get all the students on the same page, so I don't think retaking any undergrad class is necessary.

Enjoy your time off this summer. Free time goes away very quickly in the fall.