Question for current UMaryland students or anyone trying to decide bw schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pangarocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

So I've gotten several acceptances including University of Maryland. I think most of the schools I got into have a strong dental curriculum so I'm looking at factors like student life, location/atmosphere, whether current students like the school, whether the classes are cut throat vs. collaborative, etc, to decide where to attend.

Tuition wise, maryland would be the most economical option for me (instate). However, I also know that the school doesn't do pass/fail, classes are 8am-5pm mondays-fridays, and everyone is ranked. Therefore, for anyone that currently attends Maryland or anyone with any insightful opinion, can you tell me a little about the student life, atmosphere, stress level, etc?? Are classes very competitive because students are ranked? I understand that dental school is gonna be stressful and not easy in general but I went to a competitive undergrad and don't want to spend the next 4 years being completely miserable and not have a social life. I was thinking maybe there's a difference bw schools that grade on pass fail vs. letter and maybe that difference contributes to general happiness of students at these schools?

Feel free to give me your HONEST opinion--whether it's good or bad!! I really want to make the most informed decision I can to choose the best school to attend. My top choices among the schools I've been accepted to are Maryland, Columbia, Stony Brook, Pitt, and Penn.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you in-state at Maryland? If so we are on the same boat in deciding between Maryland, Columbia and Stony Brook. I'm leaning more towards Stony Brook due to the small class size, pass/fail grading, strong didactics and high match rates for residency.

Are you in-state at Maryland? If so we are on the same boat in deciding between Maryland, Columbia and Stony Brook. I'm leaning more towards Stony Brook due to the small class size, pass/fail grading, strong didactics and high match rates for residency.

My friend is a D1 at stony brook. She told me its not pass/fail. you are graded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were these not questions asked during your interview? From the students I spoke with it seems that there is always competition, but they even went out to say that there weren't any "gunners" so to speak. I think in any case if you want to specialize you need to rank well and find a balance for the clerkships so you will have to be on your A-game, but this is true with any school. I feel like I went to a fairly competitive undergraduate university (all relative, I know) and one former classmate who is at UMD right now told me that she felt better prepared for D school with her study habits. I think it was a little taxing to have to continue straight from undergrad, but right now it is just something that they accept that they have to do and get through. Having good relations with classmates is great too because misery loves company.

In general though, I can say from talking with my brother who is an OMFS intern that it is all about balance; you need to just be organized and plan things well so you have some time for R&R.

Yes, I'm in state! And yeah when I visited Stony Brook all the students there loved the small class size. It seemed like a really tight knit group of students. The downside is I won't be in state and according to the students there weren't much to do around the area where the school is. Do you remember how the students at Maryland felt about the school in general?

Were these not questions asked during your interview? From the students I spoke with it seems that there is always competition, but they even went out to say that there weren't any "gunners" so to speak. I think in any case if you want to specialize you need to rank well and find a balance for the clerkships so you will have to be on your A-game, but this is true with any school. I feel like I went to a fairly competitive undergraduate university (all relative, I know) and one former classmate who is at UMD right now told me that she felt better prepared for D school with her study habits. I think it was a little taxing to have to continue straight from undergrad, but right now it is just something that they accept that they have to do and get through. Having good relations with classmates is great too because misery loves company.

In general though, I can say from talking with my brother who is an OMFS intern that it is all about balance; you need to just be organized and plan things well so you have some time for R&R.

Yeah, I asked these questions at my interview but I got really generic answers like "it's competitive at every dental school". I remember the students at Maryland telling me that whenever the other grad students in medical school or pharmacy school organize social events, the dental students can never go because they're stuck in class almost all day. :( How does your classmate feel about this?

Yeah, I asked these questions at my interview but I got really generic answers like "it's competitive at every dental school". I remember the students at Maryland telling me that whenever the other grad students in medical school or pharmacy school organize social events, the dental students can never go because they're stuck in class almost all day. :( How does your classmate feel about this?

I think she is fine with it. It seems to be something that you accept. They seem to do gatherings on their own time and she overall has enjoyed her time so far (She's a D3 right now.)

Help! Also between Stony and Maryland.... (Instate at Stony)

Trying to figure out which one is better...TBH I don't know if I want to specialize but would like it to be an option.