Question for Experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ukdoc74

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What are the pros and cons of preliminary medicine vs transitional year for a radiology residency.

2. What are some cush transitional programs and prelim medicine programs?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

1. What are the pros and cons of preliminary medicine vs transitional year for a radiology residency.

For your ability to be a good radiologist, it doesn't make a lot of a difference. Maybe learning something about surgical patient care during a TY would be helpful, but otherwise it doesn't matter all that much (if you are at all interested in IR, I would actually suggest a decent surgical prelim).

Just one aspect often overlooked:

TY
- your rads residency if funded at the full level throughout.

prelim medicine:
- your rads program looses approx 20k of your funding during residency PGY-4 and PGY-5

You can find the details on this somewhat bizarre funding issue here:

http://www.aamc.org/advocacy/library/gme/dgmebroc.pdf

What if you do an Osteopathic TY? Do they still get paid for that?

f_w said:
Just one aspect often overlooked:

TY
- your rads residency if funded at the full level throughout.

prelim medicine:
- your rads program looses approx 20k of your funding during residency PGY-4 and PGY-5

Yeah, I was surprised to find out that matching into a pre-lim med year stiffs the program out of funding since it acts as if you matched into a categorical program. I wish they'd give radiology more funding, since I matched into one :(. Wonder how pissed off my PD is going to be.

It was my #3 choice after 2 insanely competitive TYs. I could have ranked several more TYs ahead of it, but it beat them out on procedures, resident happiness, cushness, and location. I didn't realize how bad I'd feel about it, though :(