Question for faculty members, admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things you rarely see on students’ applications that when you see them, they attract your attention and make you want to select those students?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Selecting for interview:

Graduate of Annapolis or West Point (or Air Force Academy but I've never seen an applicant from there).
Peace Corps volunteer
D-1 athlete
Of course, this is assuming that GPA and MCAT are well within our school's range for admitted students.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry to disappoint you.

This is a topic I give for admissions recruitment events. All I can say that nothing is truly rare that does not involve personal commitment, perseverance, and maturity. Even a Peace Corps experience can be written in a way that would not interest me or any faculty member.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ballerina
Military personnel
Peace corps service
War refugee
Olympic athelete
Music major
Why ballerina? The med students I’ve known who were former ballet professionals were the most neurotic people I’ve ever met….

Ballerina
Military personnel
Peace corps service
War refugee
Olympic athelete
Music major

Wow, military applicants are actually that rare?

EDIT: Holy crap I just looked it up, 1%?

I guess it kind of makes sense when I think about how few of us there are actually are. I guess just because I know so many it seems like there are more.

Also, BRB changing major to music 😎!

Last edited:
What are some things you rarely see on students’ applications that when you see them, they attract your attention and make you want to select those students?
Just adding... feel free to ask the dean or chair of the committee when you are networking at recruitment events on campus.

Reactions: 2 users
Mitary are relatively rare. Academy grads are rarer. Had a former military applicant who was a later a sky diving instructor.
Agree with elite athletes.
Peace Corp
Medical missions
Lawyers, but they often don't graduate as they hate their reduced status as a med student.
High altitude climber or medical volunteer.

Reactions: 4 users
To be polite, war has 2 sides. Aggression and defense. See Ukraine. Personally, i believe having those who volunteer to serve our country and risk their health and lives, deserve some recognition, imo. Otherwise, what do we do when we suffer from aggression? Become a colony for another country? We can disagree.

War is defined as: “extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality”. It feels wrong that military service = improved odds for med school. Just my own opinion of course. I respect the views of others.
you do realize that the vast majority of people in the military aren't running around shooting people right?

• Love
In my experience, military veterans who apply to med school tend to be cool-headed with strong team-work and leadership skills. Many have faced mass casualties and/or profound ethical dilemmas that make for compelling essays and interview answers.

• Love
In my experience, military veterans who apply to med school tend to be cool-headed with strong team-work and leadership skills. Many have faced mass casualties and/or profound ethical dilemmas that make for compelling essays and interview answers.
Ditto this. They're really mature and wise beyond their years.

We've had just one USMA grad at our school, and I've interviewed a USAFA grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be polite, war has 2 sides. Aggression and defense. See Ukraine. Personally, i believe having those who volunteer to serve our country and risk their health and lives, deserve some recognition, imo. Otherwise, what do we do when we suffer from aggression? Become a colony for another country?
Agree.

Reactions: 1 users
What LizzyM says.

They often have more life experience from their service than other applicants.

Selecting for interview:

Graduate of Annapolis or West Point (or Air Force Academy but I've never seen an applicant from there).
Peace Corps volunteer
D-1 athlete
Of course, this is assuming that GPA and MCAT are well within our school's range for admitted students.
No U.S. Coast Guard Academy love? I'm just kidding, that would be a real unicorn.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Last edited:
To be polite, war has 2 sides. Aggression and defense. See Ukraine. Personally, i believe having those who volunteer to serve our country and risk their health and lives, deserve some recognition, imo. Otherwise, what do we do when we suffer from aggression? Become a colony for another country? We can disagree.

A commendable response, though far too polite :rofl:. I would have just reminded them of what the date was. I guess it's good though that the kids these days haven't had to live through an attack on our country.

I would encourage them (and everyone) to watch the documentary Restrepo.

A commendable response, though far too polite :rofl:. I would have just reminded them of what the date was. I guess it's good though that the kids these days haven't had to live through an attack on our country.

I would encourage them (and everyone) to watch the documentary Restrepo.

Yeah, I had family/friends in the towers. Some made it, some did not......

1662996568071.png

• Sad
  • Care
Let's please try to stay on the original topic. For better or worse, I think we can agree that having some sort of military service improves odds at med school admissions.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it rare to have applicants that have done AmeriCorps? I have done one year of AmeriCorps and was wondering how it looks to adcoms.

Is it rare to have applicants that have done AmeriCorps? I have done one year of AmeriCorps and was wondering how it looks to adcoms.
Yes it is rare since many applicants still believe a gap year shuts the door to medical school forever (which it does not).

I forgot about that!

Yes Americorps service is rare amongst applicants. I also have a high regard for people who are in Teach for America.

Reactions: 5 users
you do realize that the vast majority of people in the military aren't running around shooting people right?
Facts. I was a combat medic. Never fired my weapon more than a few times but damn sure saved plenty of lives, ours and theirs.

• Love
Did two terms as an AmeriCorps VISTA in 2011 and ‘12. Still the coolest thing that I’ve EVER done!

• Love
Facts. I was a combat medic. Never fired my weapon more than a few times but damn sure saved plenty of lives, ours and theirs.
Almost all people who have never served in the military are unaware that that for every front line soldier, there are ten non-infantry supporting them. That's known as the logistical tail.

• Wow