Quantcast

Question for IAUPR current students or alumni

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am not sure what your point is, nor do I understand how it relates to my original comment. I made the reference to diagnostics to give an example to support my position that you were incorrect about optometry school faculty being able to practice to a higher level than their state allows. Based on the tone of your posts in this thread, you are obviously upset about something. I have no axe to grind with respect to the training at IAUPR. I graduated a long time ago, so I am sure the training at all the schools is better than what I went through. And since I could care less about what may be bothering you, I will just leave it at you were wrong about a "Federal Law" for OD's employed as faculty at optometry schools.

I have no axe to grind. Look at every comment I have made on this thread. It is an answer to sombody's question directed at me, I'm simply answering.... What I am extremly surprised about is that I have the "HONOR" of your comments. There have been numerous times in numerous threads in which I have asked you a question and you were "too good to answer me". Why has today been the "blessed day??"

Ben Chudner

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no axe to grind. Look at every comment I have made on this thread. It is an answer to sombody's question directed at me, I'm simply answering.... What I am extremly surprised about is that I have the "HONOR" of your comments. There have been numerous times in numerous threads in which I have asked you a question and you were "too good to answer me". Why has today been the "blessed day??"
I do not specifically recall ignoring any question directed towards me. I do not read every thread, nor do I necessarily revisit threads in which I haven't posted in a while so it is possible I never saw these questions. Feel free to point out any question I ignored, and I will be happy to answer it, however if you would like to be sure I see any question you have for me, you should send me a private message.

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:smuggrin: What a hoot! Opii:this should teach you not to defend the underdog. You will just get burned! No dialting allowed in IAUPR, where do you get your erroneous information OPii:smuggrin: ICU23 was rite to say all what he say about IAUPR, too bad he erased it. OD2005PR: congratulations on you'r recent marriage with our vision therapy professor, be careful once a cheater always a cheater.:smuggrin:

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
it seems like most of the future students and graduates of puerto rico in this forum are very sarcastic or discouraging. oh, and some weirdos too. :laugh:

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:smuggrin: What a hoot! Opii:this should teach you not to defend the underdog. You will just get burned! No dialting allowed in IAUPR, where do you get your erroneous information OPii:smuggrin: ICU23 was rite to say all what he say about IAUPR, too bad he erased it. OD2005PR: congratulations on you'r recent marriage with our vision therapy professor, be careful once a cheater always a cheater.:smuggrin:

Thanks for the warning CPW, but anyone who is in Puerto Rico right now knows this is all true.

odforme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maddi,

[this is being said in friendliest, peace-lovingest manner possible]

I have no idea what your experiences were in PR nor am I interested in the rest of the drama in this thread. I would just like to say that any info you have to tell potential students about PR is being lost in your extremely bitter delivery. Sometimes it is hard to reign in our emotions but you really must if you want your opinions to be taken seriously. Clearly people are interested in what you may have to say but I think they would prefer "just the facts".

2011OD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What other things are IAUPR restricted from doing compared to other universities?

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not true. At Berkeley, before California got glaucoma meds, the OD's could not write for glaucoma meds. All glaucoma was treated in the medical mod with an MD supervising and writing all scripts. There is no Federal Law regarding scope of practice for OD's. The only situations that I know of where you can practice a higher scope than the state you are in is within the VA system and the military. In the VA, if the section director allows it, you can practice up to the level of any state license you have. This is how OD's were allowed to use lasers in the VA's outside of OK before it was attacked by ophthalmology.
Ben

about your questions as far as RXing in PR, apparently every other person that replied to you is either not in clinic or just doesn't know...We can supersede the laws in PR, governing Optometry because as an institution we have M.D.'s on faculty that oversee all prescriptions written. So, if i want to change my patients GLC meds, for example, I, as a 4th year student, can do so (just as can a 3rd yr intern.) So that is how we stay within the limits of the law without denying our students practical Tx and RXing rights.

I hope this asnswers your inquiry

P.S. for all those whom this might concern, I passed my first 2 boards without any trouble, my first time taking them, and very well I might add, and I am looking for the trifecta this afternoon with the PAM.

Good luck everyone
-Making Changes!

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not true. At Berkeley, before California got glaucoma meds, the OD's could not write for glaucoma meds. All glaucoma was treated in the medical mod with an MD supervising and writing all scripts. There is no Federal Law regarding scope of practice for OD's. The only situations that I know of where you can practice a higher scope than the state you are in is within the VA system and the military. In the VA, if the section director allows it, you can practice up to the level of any state license you have. This is how OD's were allowed to use lasers in the VA's outside of OK before it was attacked by ophthalmology.
Ben

about your questions as far as RXing in PR, apparently every other person that replied to you is either not in clinic or just doesn't know...We can supersede the laws in PR, governing Optometry because as an institution we have M.D.'s on faculty that oversee all prescriptions written. So, if i want to change my patients GLC meds, for example, I, as a 4th year student, can do so (just as can a 3rd yr intern.) So that is how we stay within the limits of the law without denying our students practical Tx and RXing rights.

I hope this answers your inquiry

P.S. for all those whom this might concern, I passed my first 2 boards without any trouble, my first time taking them, and very well I might add, and I am looking for the trifecta this afternoon with the PAM.

Good luck everyone
-Making Changes! V.C.

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

What other things are IAUPR restricted from doing compared to other universities?

nothing.

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning CPW, but anyone who is in Puerto Rico right now knows this is all true.

Every school can make improvements, I dare anyone to say otherwise.

Maddi, I don't think that airing out the dirty laundry of a professor helps anyone, it just makes you look childish.

I am now in my 4th yr with all of my boards up to date passed on the first time, with superior scores on both, and I am confident my skills are up to par or better than my soon to be collegues in other schools, and I know because I had the priviledge to work with them on my rotations, Optometry's future is bright, (the best to all my classmates from my rotations your all great) and there was no rift because I went IAUPR. Your bitterness is obviously taking up too much of your time... study for your boards you'll pass them ...eventually, and if you want, come to PR and I'll TUTOR YOU! I am not even kidding I would.

-Vincente Calderon 4th yr
I told you who I am, I have nothing to hide...why do you?
-good luck to you.

Ben Chudner

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ben

I hope this answers your inquiry.
Thank you for your insight, and for validating my point. What I said was that OD's working at a school of optometry cannot practice above their scope unless there is an MD overseeing them. It sounds like that is the exact situation at IAUPR. Good luck to you.

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight, and for validating my point. What I said was that OD's working at a school of optometry cannot practice above their scope unless there is an MD overseeing them. It sounds like that is the exact situation at IAUPR. Good luck to you.

Thank you, I wish that someone would have just said that earlier and avoided the mess, and FYI the PAM went extremely well for me today so i am stating the celebrating early!

Members don't see this ad :)

iproblem

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I wish that someone would have just said that earlier and avoided the mess, and FYI the PAM went extremely well for me today so i am stating the celebrating early!

i am so happy for you. another case in point that minority students also have the potential to succeed just like the rest of the white population in this country. when oppressed, our people will resist even harder. the gpa cutoff in SCO is just another example of THE MAN's evil scheme to blatantly force our bright students to apply elsewhere. Sorry for blowing out the candle for many of you cranky haters here. Students with lower gpa can also pass the board.

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vinny, Weren't you supposed to graduate last year? If you have read my very old posts, you fall exactly in the "chosen student" catagory. You are a Puerto Rican male. Those students are taken care of by the Puerto Rican faculty therefore you might be doing as well as you say. I advise the American gringos, blacks, asians, not to go there because you darn well know they don't get treated the same. Look around you and tell me your fourth year "foreign" classmates aren't getting jerked around right about now by the clinicians, and hoe secretaries.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vinny, Weren't you supposed to graduate last year? If you have read my very old posts, you fall exactly in the "chosen student" catagory. You are a Puerto Rican male. Those students are taken care of by the Puerto Rican faculty therefore you might be doing as well as you say. I advise the American gringos, blacks, asians, not to go there because you darn well know they don't get treated the same. Look around you and tell me your fourth year "foreign" classmates aren't getting jerked around right about now by the clinicians, and hoe secretaries.

Maddi, you again? Seems people are starting to see you for who you are. To everyone who reads this, do a search on maddi's previous posts and you will read for yourselves how each and every time her arguments are countered by people who actually study in PR. She went so far as to try to pass off "facts" about PR that were obviously false and said a lot about her ignorance of tha island. For a person who claims to have studied there, she little knowledge of island affairs and culture are very simplistic, narrow and predudiced. So either she did study there as she claims and NEVER stepped outside her house or she is an outright fraud or troll with a strange hatred for the school. I myself have countered many of her "claims" in previous posts, feel free to check them out.
BTW, whats up with the "hoe" comment? It shows a lack of maturity, respect and self control. If that is representative of you as an individual and future professional, then I feel bad for the profession.

Dr Who

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maddi, you again? Seems people are starting to see you for who you are. To everyone who reads this, do a search on maddi's previous posts and you will read for yourselves how each and every time her arguments are countered by people who actually study in PR. She went so far as to try to pass off "facts" about PR that were obviously false and said a lot about her ignorance of tha island. For a person who claims to have studied there, she little knowledge of island affairs and culture are very simplistic, narrow and predudiced. So either she did study there as she claims and NEVER stepped outside her house or she is an outright fraud or troll with a strange hatred for the school. I myself have countered many of her "claims" in previous posts, feel free to check them out.
BTW, whats up with the "hoe" comment? It shows a lack of maturity, respect and self control. If that is representative of you as an individual and future professional, then I feel bad for the profession.

Dr Who

"Dr." Who, you again?? So what's new, another wanna-be M.D. trying to control an Optometrists' forum.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Dr." Who, you again?? So what's new, another wanna-be M.D. trying to control an Optometrists' forum.

Nothing about control here. I might be studying medicine, but the field of optometry does hold some fascination for me. Hopefully, with hard work and perseverance I will have the honor and privilege of working side by side with optometrist and other health professionals. The last time I read the rules of SDN, there is no ban on visiting any forum I wish, as long as I do so with respect and courtesy, which I believe I have done. I also invite you and any other optometry student to visit forums dealing with other fields in the health profession as we will all be colleages some day.

Now to answer Maddy directly. Whenever I see people trying to pass opinions, hearsay or outright lies as absolute fact I feel the need to correct them. I have never tried to impose my opinions nor have I disrespected any individual in this or any other forum on SDN. I do feel it is my, and every one else's, obligation to correct any fellow SDN'r when I feel he or she has stated something that is not correct, so long as I do it with respect.
I have no idea why you show so much hate towards this particular school, and why you feel to need to be so disrespectful to those that study there. To be honest, I dont really care. But the fact remains that it is an accredited professional school and as such, it and the students that study there, deserve all the respect that we desire for ourselves. While there is no doubt that Harvard is a more well known and "respected" school than Podunk University, there is no need to demean and humiliate the students who everyday wake up and work hard to get ahead in Podunk U.

I currently live and study in PR, and I am also from the US. I find your comments on the school and on PR offensive, not just to me, but to all the good people who work, study and live on the island. I say offensive because your portrayal of life on the island and in that particular school flies in the face of all that I experience and live day by day here. Frankly speaking the things you attribute to the students, administration and faculty WOULD NOT be tolerated here. This island is a territory of the US, and as such has to follow the laws written on a document called the Constitution of the United States. If half the things you say happen at the school really do happen, the school would have been beset by lawsuits up the wazzoo. Not only would it find itself pretty quickly in bankrupcy, but it would LOSE it accreditation status also.
Calling secretaries "hoes" does nothing to better the understanding or clear the doubts of many here that are genuinely interested in studying at PR for whatever reason.
Actual IAUPR students have answered your posts time and again contradicting your slanderous statements. In fact isnt it "surprising" that IAUPR students give what is pretty much universal praise to a school you say is handled as if it were in some outlaw banana republic? I have nothing against you personally, but I feel the need, the responsibility, to correct any wrong that I perceive. I apologize if my post is too long, but this is a professional forum dedicated to helping and educating those in or interested in all fields of the health profession. As such we need to conduct ourselves as the professionals we are, or wish to be.

Dr Who

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have all your "facts" all Wrong! I am exactly where I am supposed to be, never failed a class, Nor came close unlike you apparently. I started in august 2003, and now 4 years later I am graduateing exactly on time, class 2007, with all my boards passed! I am going to go ahead and celebrate part 3 becasue I know I Aced it. If you think you know me so well, why don't you tell me who you are, Afraid that the truth of your identity will validate your inadequecy? You would have a better case if you Identified yourself. And by the way I am not 100% puerto rican, and I am from NEW YORK! When I got to pr I didn't even speak spanish so no I don't agree with you. People who do have trouble are those that make no effort to understand the culture and face thier own inner struggles which must have been your case apparently.

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have all your "facts" all Wrong! I am exactly where I am supposed to be, never failed a class, Nor came close unlike you apparently. I started in august 2003, and now 4 years later I am graduateing exactly on time, class 2007, with all my boards passed! I am going to go ahead and celebrate part 3 becasue I know I Aced it. If you think you know me so well, why don't you tell me who you are, Afraid that the truth of your identity will validate your inadequecy? You would have a better case if you Identified yourself. And by the way I am not 100% puerto rican, and I am from NEW YORK! When I got to pr I didn't even speak spanish so no I don't agree with you. People who do have trouble are those that make no effort to understand the culture and face thier own inner struggles which must have been your case apparently.

Yes you are 100% Puerto Rican from New York. And you didn't do well in the first two boards. Now I KNOW you're a lier.

And no I would never tell you my identity. I am sure I would get "wacked" and be swimming with the fish, capish? I'm not stupid, Vinny.

maddi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This island is a territory of the US, and as such has to follow the laws written on a document called the Constitution of the United States. If half the things you say happen at the school really do happen, the school would have been beset by lawsuits up the wazzoo. Not only would it find itself pretty quickly in bankrupcy, but it would LOSE it accreditation status also.
Calling secretaries "hoes" does nothing to better the understanding or clear the doubts of many here that are genuinely interested in studying at PR for whatever reason.

PR does NOT follow the US Constitution. You shouldn't lie to people seeking answers in this forum. This is why they get away with so much and slip through the cracks when the accreditation committee goes there.

About the secretaries - Well fortunatly there is one less "hoe" - Grace finally got kicked out!

Actual IAUPR students have answered your posts time and again contradicting your slanderous statements.

IAUPR students, like yourself, are in deep denial. They think that by denying the truth the truth won't catch up with them.
There is no slander in truth. And half the "students" posting here are the actual professors or their present "bang."

In fact isnt it "surprising" that IAUPR students give what is pretty much universal praise to a school you say is handled as if it were in some outlaw banana republic?

I have never said it is a banana republic, only you have.

I have nothing against you personally, but I feel the need, the responsibility, to correct any wrong that I perceive.

I feel the responsibility to warn people what they are getting into. I have nothing to gain and nothing to lose by telling the truth here.

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PR does NOT follow the US Constitution. You shouldn't lie to people seeking answers in this forum. This is why they get away with so much and slip through the cracks when the accreditation committee goes there.

Again Maddi with her "facts" all wrong. Here is a quote from wikipedia. "The autonomy recognized to the island has been put into doubt following certain decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which have interpreted the Territorial Clause of the United States Constitution as still controlling over Puerto Rico. Under this clause, the United States' Congress is the recognized sovereign of the island."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Puerto_Rico

Here is another article called "Puerto Rico at a glance" that states "Local self-governing territory under the US constitution" among other facts.
http://www.puertorico-herald.org/PuertoRicoataGlance.html

The following is a link to the CIA world factbook that also helps clear your "doubts" aboout the status of PR. https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rq.html

Once again I have to refute maddi's claims. People born in PR are US CITIZENS by birth. PR is considered a territory of the US and as such is politically PART of the US. The US constitution is the constitution of Puerto Rico in all matters concerning federal laws, and SUPERSEDES the local island constitution. The island constitution only dictate laws that apply on the local level. In case you didnt know it, each of the 50 US states also have constitutions that apply to local matters. The island is not any different.
Legally Puerto Rico, as a territory, falls under the jurisdiction of congress, and the president of the US. The President of Puerto Rico is the president of the US.
Must I go on? Please Maddi, get your facts straight.

About the secretaries - Well fortunatly there is one less "hoe" - Grace finally got kicked out!

Who cares? Maybe you havent considered that just maybe she didnt LIKE YOU.

IAUPR students, like yourself, are in deep denial. They think that by denying the truth the truth won't catch up with them.

Let me repeat this to you, I AM NOT a student at IAUPR. I live on the island and know that reality here is not as you portray it. Please read my last post on this thread which explains my constatly having to correct you.

I have never said it is a banana republic, only you have.

Have I?

I feel the responsibility to warn people what they are getting into. I have nothing to gain and nothing to lose by telling the truth here.

I feel the responsibility to right what I feel is a wrong. I am from the US, and I currently LIVE on the island. I chose to study here. I was accepted to more than a few US mainland schools, but decided to stay here because I fell in love with the place. The island definately has its share of problems, but it is not at all the way Maddi has portrayed it. People have answered her posts and refuted her "claims" again and again, especially current and former IAUPR students. I cannot believe that any rational person would take at face value posts made by a person who is so rude, full of hate and inarticulate as Maddi. This person either has issues or is a troll just looking for attention.
If anyone has any questions about PR you can PM me and I will be more than glad to answer them as honestly as I can. If you have any questions about IAUPR in particular, yuo can PM any of the current and former IAUPR students that have taken their time to post in this thread.

Like I said earlier, PR is NOT a paradise on earth. It has its share of problems, but nothing like the place Maddi is trying to portray. My biggest gripes on island life? Bureaucracy and the traffic. Anyway, feel free to ask any questions and I will be glad to answer them WITH FACTS, not opinions, hearsay, or plain old hate and bigotry.

Dr Who

QBNOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll direct you to some other posts that I have made which can help clarify some info:

about clinic scope of practice:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5333291#post5333291

about the school & application process:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5338189#post5338189

Hope this helps... & BTW, I hope everyone can see through the bias & ignorance of some of these posts... I remind you that ALL accredited schools have the SAME criteria for accreditation & we all have to pass the same boards...

My opinion of why our boards stats are lower: most people take NBEO part I (which is really where our stats are lacking...) before they take many of the pertinent courses that cover info that is on the test, besides that, you have to factor in that over 1/2 of the student body has English as a 2nd language, & furthermore... unfortunately many students @ our school take the test the 1st time with an attitude of "I'll take it this time to get an idea of how the test is" then they re-take it after they have completed the aforementioned classes (& actually studied for it).

Our faculty & administration are trying very hard to change this attitude & have already made some policy changes that, in part, will address this issue because they are very concerned on how this practice affects our statistics (& image) as well as trying to get students to take it to pass it (not just for a preview). I mean, there are better things to do with $600.

I would also remind everyone that our school has consistently been in the top of the optometry super-bowls (where every optometry school participates) that are held at the AOA conferences for the past few years...

(for those of you unfamiliar, this is a "quiz show" type of event that is held yearly) so, there you go... :bow: -don't be hatin'....

As for our clinical experience, we see it all & Dx it & Tx it... (& we see more pathology than you will most anywhere else in the US, that is just due to demographics and culture, read the posts referenced above for further clarification). & I have been told this by numerous ODs from other parts that I have met in conferences, etc.

Its also true that our school is THE eye clinic for this island (& really, this part of the world) so we get all the referals for hard to deal with or complicated & rare cases.

Reactions: 1 user

alleigh79

not so confused anymore!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, I'm saying they should charge you extra for doing an extra service other than optician work.

All other people who have a slight knowlege of anything extra are charging up a storm. Hispanics are the only ones who give away their extra services for free.

Whatever happened to team work in a practice????:confused:

svetik17s

Reaction score
I am a second year at the school and I love it here. Call and speak directly to Mr. Colon, he is the head for admissions, I think extension "2500"? The school is great and the new campus will be ready next fall in Bayamon, PR. I am from Long Island, NY and could not be happier being in Optometry School down in Puerto Rico, it is a great experience and opportunity for my education. The biggest plus is learning to speak spanish. If you work hard there should be no problems passing boards so don't worry. Good luck..Feel free to ask me any info. about the school..

Hey I had a question if you could help me: did you ever hear any information from other students regarding how hard or possible it is to transfer from IAUPR to SUNY or NECO or any other school of optometry for that matter... reason why I am asking is that my fiance lives in the new york are and it will be so hard for us :( ... not that I do not want to attend IAUPR i am acutally very excited? And also what is the average price of apartments or rooms to rent around the campus?? Thank you in advance.

MakingChanges

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I had a question if you could help me: did you ever hear any information from other students regarding how hard or possible it is to transfer from IAUPR to SUNY or NECO or any other school of optometry for that matter... reason why I am asking is that my fiance lives in the new york are and it will be so hard for us :( ... not that I do not want to attend IAUPR i am acutally very excited? And also what is the average price of apartments or rooms to rent around the campus?? Thank you in advance.

apartments in pr or ny?

are already accepted at iaupr and now thinking about going somewhere else? In my opinion transferring into any school really is not a good option, a lot of schools have their own specific classes they want you to take, so you would most likely be losing time...and time is money. Pick a place suck it up and know it is only for 4 years and you can have the rest of your lives together, making over 6 figures anywhere you want...or have her go with you.

hope that helps

-making changes

socialnetwork

Reaction score
I am a second year at the school and I love it here. Call and speak directly to Mr. Colon, he is the head for admissions, I think extension "2500"? The school is great and the new campus will be ready next fall in Bayamon, PR. I am from Long Island, NY and could not be happier being in Optometry School down in Puerto Rico, it is a great experience and opportunity for my education. The biggest plus is learning to speak spanish. If you work hard there should be no problems passing boards so don't worry. Good luck..Feel free to ask me any info. about the school..

Where is the Optometry school? is it in Bayamon or San Juan. I heard that they just build a dorm right? How about the housing? Do you know any room for share now? I am looking for a house that is near the school? Thanks

socialnetwork

Reaction score

I got accepted this year, but I am so worry the my Spanish. I have no idea with Spanish. Do you think I can handle over there? Did you know Spanish before you get into the school? Thanks

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted this year, but I am so worry the my Spanish. I have no idea with Spanish. Do you think I can handle over there? Did you know Spanish before you get into the school? Thanks

hi,

I am currently at IAUPR, and so I can tell you don't worry about your spanish skills. I have been here for couple of years and I don't know jack in spanish and I am able to survive. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ops double post

Last edited: