Question for IAUPR current students or alumni

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't apply there. I graduated 2 yrs ago and haven't passed the boards. They will abuse you unless you are Puerto Rican. When you come back to the states you will be mistrusted by all potential employers. You also risk physical harm and death.

I Have Hired People From There Before And They Were Fine. I Am Going To Interview Someone From That School This Week. I Do Not Look Down Upon Them. There Board Scores Are Low. But The People That Worked For Me Said That The Students That Did Not Pass The Boards Did Not Study That Much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I Have Hired People From There Before And They Were Fine. I Am Going To Interview Someone From That School This Week. I Do Not Look Down Upon Them. There Board Scores Are Low. But The People That Worked For Me Said That The Students That Did Not Pass The Boards Did Not Study That Much.

That is a simplistic argument. Why would someone spend over 100,000 dollars in tuition and NBEO costs and then not "study that much...?" That would be stupid don't you think? Maybe there are more complex reasons you don't understand.

I am a second year at the school and I love it here. Call and speak directly to Mr. Colon, he is the head for admissions, I think extension "2500"? The school is great and the new campus will be ready next fall in Bayamon, PR. I am from Long Island, NY and could not be happier being in Optometry School down in Puerto Rico, it is a great experience and opportunity for my education. The biggest plus is learning to speak spanish. If you work hard there should be no problems passing boards so don't worry. Good luck..Feel free to ask me any info. about the school..

Who would spend all that money and not study?? maddi. I remember you. All the partying at Babylon, and refusal to learn Spanish. Your demeaning of Puerto Rican people. All the horrible things you said regarding Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans, and their culture. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend IAUPR, and obtaining my OD.

cvod, maddi is extremely biased and racist. I cannot say it was a picnic, but I had to work hard. No death or physical harm. That is ridiculous.

I have had no trouble passing Boards or getting employment.

Hoop44,

quick question for you - how intense is the cirriculum down there? i'm really interested in studying at inter american.

The curriculum is just as intense as any other OD program out there plus you must learn spanish. If you put in the time and hard work you will be fine.

Who would spend all that money and not study?? maddi. I remember you. All the partying at Babylon, and refusal to learn Spanish. Your demeaning of Puerto Rican people. All the horrible things you said regarding Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans, and their culture. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend IAUPR, and obtaining my OD.

cvod, maddi is extremely biased and racist. I cannot say it was a picnic, but I had to work hard. No death or physical harm. That is ridiculous.

I have had no trouble passing Boards or getting employment.

Although I graduated from Medical School in PR I want to comment here because I know some american grads of this optometry school that came here to study optometry but spent more time partying and now guess what? they havent pass the boards too like maddi.

Maddi, I have read your previous post about this school and its sad that you have so much anger for an Island just because you cant pass the boards!!

Instead of writting here that you are going to face death in PR why dont you start studying for the boards?? that simple.

Although I graduated from Medical School in PR I want to comment here because I know some american grads of this optometry school that came here to study optometry but spent more time partying and now guess what? they havent pass the boards too like maddi.

Maddi, I have read your previous post about this school and its sad that you have so much anger for an Island just because you cant pass the boards!!

Instead of writting here that you are going to face death in PR why dont you start studying for the boards?? that simple.

I agree!

And I also would like to say that I know of American grads of this optometry school that passed their exams on their first try.

So maddi you dont have an excuse and stop saying bad things about the Island because of your failures, you are the responsible one for your actions not the Island of Puerto Rico.

The gpa, oat scores, and board passage rates for this school speak for themselves...If this school is the only one you got into (a last resort), maybe this says something about your initial commitment/abilities? Just a thought.

(Comment does not pertain to people who decide to go here for cultural/language/location/other reasons)

Members don't see this ad :)
The gpa, oat scores, and board passage rates for this school speak for themselves...If this school is the only one you got into (a last resort), maybe this says something about your initial commitment/abilities? Just a thought.

(Comment does not pertain to people who decide to go here for cultural/language/location/other reasons)

bump

I think a large part of the problem is the terrible scope of practice in PR. I'm no expert, but one of my best friends is Puerto Rican and graduated from med-school down there. Optometry is not reguarded highly at all down there according to him. Is it not true that the scope of practice is terrible down there for Optometry?

I think a large part of the problem is the terrible scope of practice in PR. I'm no expert, but one of my best friends is Puerto Rican and graduated from med-school down there. Optometry is not reguarded highly at all down there according to him. Is it not true that the scope of practice is terrible down there for Optometry?

The practice scope in PR is completely unconnected to what happens inside the accredited schools in Puerto Rico. Canadian schools the same. In PR, due to the large hispanic and carribian population, there is a large amount of pathology, glaucoma, DM, and are treated full scope (as all accredited schools do) inside the school. NECO also treats patients accordingly (inside school grounds) although Boston is one of the worst places to practice when it comes to meds.
Everyone knows this.

... my hard work got me into UC Berkeley and now I'm going to opto school (and no, it's not because of affirmative action - Asian aren't considered a minority when it comes to school)

Are you sure you didn't get into UCBerkley because you are asian, and that school (and that town) is practically completely run by asians?

Doesn't that program have a direct link with the schools in China (so does NECO) and bring in students from there, and in a blink of an eye they become US citizens, while other foreigners of other nationalities have to wait more than ten years??? You have been given an unfair advantage over hispanics/blacks that is why you don't need affirmitive action, you already have your connections.

Will you be given another unfair advantage in PCO? Dean Horne's summer program perhaps? Why do I get the feeling you are one of the chosen ones?

Are you sure you didn't get into UCBerkley because you are asian, and that school (and that town) is practically completely run by asians?

it's sad that asians are being statistically discriminated against in all kinds of health care professional schools. more distinctively so in medical schools.

back to the OP's and others' concerns in regard to studying optometry in PR, i think it's an excellent opportunity to learn spanish and see another world so to speak. Spanish is a very poetic language in my opinion, and i'm learning it now.
However, if i had to decide between an opt school in US and PR, I'd choose to stay back in the US in a heartbeat because the cost is just too much overseas. You'd feel like you're chained down financially for a couple of years after graduation. I'm feeling it now from the debt I got myself into for undergrad, it's not fun at all. That's just my opinion.

After optometry school is another story. I think spanish speaking optometrists actually have an advantage over english-only optometrist due to the widened prevalence of hispanics in america who have vision/sight problems. if you work in urban cities, knowing spanish attract more patients(Hispanic customers), and it earns their trust. they will tell their friends how you are able communicate effectively with them, and they'll bring more patients to your office. it is true. knowing multiple languages grow your practice by themselves.

If we can continue this conversation in a civilized matter, without bringing down others for their race... I'll allow this thread to continue. Anymore racist comments about Puerto Ricans or Asians and this thread is closed.

As others have said above me. Any accredited optometry school will give you a great education. You have to study to bass boards no matter where you attend.

The decision on which OD school to attend is a personal one. No one can or should make the choice for you. Go where YOU will be happy. Not your parents, your friends, or your relatives... YOU.

After optometry school is another story. I think spanish speaking optometrists actually have an advantage over english-only optometrist due to the widened prevalence of hispanics in america who have vision/sight problems. if you work in urban cities, knowing spanish attract more patients(Hispanic customers), and it earns their trust. they will tell their friends how you are able communicate effectively with them, and they'll bring more patients to your office. it is true. knowing multiple languages grow your practice by themselves.

It's true. :) I also have two native speaking opticians to help me out if I get stuck. I am by no means fluent, but I did take six years of Spanish and did about a 1/3 of my exams at UHCO in Spanish. Speaking even some brings you referrals. (especially if you can make fun of yourself in Spanish about how badly you sound like a 5 year old) ;)

It's true. :) I also have two native speaking opticians to help me out if I get stuck. ;)

Has anyone ever thought hispanics are sick and tired of getting looked at as good for reception work/opticians/little helpers and would like to be refered to as Doctors?

Bilinguals should charge extra everytime they have to "bail a doctor out."

it's sad that asians are being statistically discriminated against in all kinds of health care professional schools. more distinctively so in medical schools.

Have you ever walked around the cities of Fullerton and Berkley? Even the street signs are in Asian, I don't see much discrimination there.

The practice scope in PR is completely unconnected to what happens inside the accredited schools in Puerto Rico. Canadian schools the same. In PR, due to the large hispanic and carribian population, there is a large amount of pathology, glaucoma, DM, and are treated full scope (as all accredited schools do) inside the school. NECO also treats patients accordingly (inside school grounds) although Boston is one of the worst places to practice when it comes to meds.
Everyone knows this.

Hmm, I don't understand. If the school professors are all ODs and they can't Rx meds and provide other services under PR law how do they do it in the schools? Indiana has pretty good scope, but our attendings can't do injections or lasers because its not in Indiana's practice laws. How do they get around this?

Has anyone ever thought hispanics are sick and tired of getting looked at as good for reception work/opticians/little helpers and would like to be refered to as Doctors?

Bilinguals should charge extra everytime they have to "bail a doctor out."

So, you're saying my own opticians shouldn't help me ? Nice.

Hmm, I don't understand. If the school professors are all ODs and they can't Rx meds and provide other services under PR law how do they do it in the schools? Indiana has pretty good scope, but our attendings can't do injections or lasers because its not in Indiana's practice laws. How do they get around this?

That's the point, inside an accredited school the OD is under Federal Law not local law. All accredited schools practice the same (and their satelite clinics), the only variable factor is the patient who walks in the door. In Indiana you may not do injections or lasers; and nowhere else for that matter. Only in OK AFTER you take the laser course.

So, you're saying my own opticians shouldn't help me ? Nice.

No, I'm saying they should charge you extra for doing an extra service other than optician work.

All other people who have a slight knowlege of anything extra are charging up a storm. Hispanics are the only ones who give away their extra services for free.

No, I'm saying they should charge you extra for doing an extra service other than optician work.

All other people who have a slight knowlege of anything extra are charging up a storm.

I'm not charging to tutor them after work to pass the NCLE and ABOC... so I guess we'll call it even ;)

Erasing it won't make it go away ICU. I've met people like you by the dozens; taking educational opportunities away from REAL Americans then turning it around and feeling superior than them. Just consider yourself lucky - and get rid of the "superior than thou attidude"

I'm not charging to tutor them after work to pass the NCLE and ABOC... so I guess we'll call it even ;)

O.K. That's a good point.

Erasing it won't make it go away ICU. I've met people like you by the dozens; taking educational opportunities away from REAL Americans then turning it around and feeling superior than them. Just consider yourself lucky - and get rid of the "superior than thou attidude"

I know this is a little off the topic but Opii had brought up some interesting points. Opii, are you generalizing that Asians steal educational opportunities away from REAL Americans, and then turning it around and look down upon the REAL Americans? If that's not your intended argument, then please correct me. thanks.

That's the point, inside an accredited school the OD is under Federal Law not local law. All accredited schools practice the same (and their satelite clinics), the only variable factor is the patient who walks in the door. In Indiana you may not do injections or lasers; and nowhere else for that matter. Only in OK AFTER you take the laser course.
This is not true. At Berkeley, before California got glaucoma meds, the OD's could not write for glaucoma meds. All glaucoma was treated in the medical mod with an MD supervising and writing all scripts. There is no Federal Law regarding scope of practice for OD's. The only situations that I know of where you can practice a higher scope than the state you are in is within the VA system and the military. In the VA, if the section director allows it, you can practice up to the level of any state license you have. This is how OD's were allowed to use lasers in the VA's outside of OK before it was attacked by ophthalmology.

I know this is a little off the topic but Opii had brought up some interesting points. Opii, are you generalizing that Asians steal educational opportunities away from REAL Americans, and then turning it around and look down upon the REAL Americans? If that's not your intended argument, then please correct me. thanks.

No, I am saying there are individuals who are in "some program" in their original country that gives them an express ticket to US citizenship, and into American Optometry schools. That's not fair to qualified pre-optometry / current US citizen students who get rejected from these PRIVATE optometry schools.

Why should an Asian who is a US citizen be rejected to an OD school while there are non-US citizens who get accepted in all the time (Asian or Not)? Shouldn't these schools be concerned about educating US Citizens first (of whatever background)?

This is not true. At Berkeley, before California got glaucoma meds, the OD's could not write for glaucoma meds. All glaucoma was treated in the medical mod with an MD supervising and writing all scripts. There is no Federal Law regarding scope of practice for OD's. The only situations that I know of where you can practice a higher scope than the state you are in is within the VA system and the military. In the VA, if the section director allows it, you can practice up to the level of any state license you have. This is how OD's were allowed to use lasers in the VA's outside of OK before it was attacked by ophthalmology.

Then you might want to put in a complaint to the accreditation committie because IAUPR treats glaucoma in their clinic.

Maybe there is an MD as a supervising clinician there? I'm not in Puerto Rico, but I do know that for a fact they do have plenty of Glaucoma, Abs, Mydriatics,... etc... inside the school. Outside the PR school, we all know that OMDs have won the war against ODs.

Bottom line is that all students in all schools cannot write ANYTHING. So the experience is the SAME.

You know what, your post is really annoying. Who are you to judge the competency of IAUPR students? The final judge of who is capable and who is not the board exam. If an IAUPR graduate is able to pass the board exam, what does that tell you about the student? It should indicate hard work and intelligence even coming from a low tier school. Haven't you read some of the other posts regarding this school? Do you know why OAT scores and board passage rates are low? This is not because the school does a crappy job at teaching. The majority of the students are Spanish speakers. Imagine yourself taking the board exam in Spanish, you won't do very well for sure. If you don't have anything intelligent to say please don't.

Yipes!

In my original post: "Comment does not pertain to people who decide to go here for cultural/language/location/other reasons"

I never said anything about the quality of the school. I was actually defending the school. Maddi (who appears to be an ENGLISH speaking/non-native PR) was posting that she hated the school, and that they didn't provide her the information she needed to pass boards. I told her that it may have to do with her initial commitment/abilities if that was her last resort school---NOT the fault of the school itself. Because of your agreement with mig26x's comment above, it seems we are actually in agreement ourselves. Best of luck in the future longlashes.

If Asians ran Berkley then they are obviously doing something right to warrant US News #1 public university ranking in the nation.
[/Quote]
Doesn't that program have a direct link with the schools in China (so does NECO) and bring in students from there, and in a blink of an eye they become US citizens, while other foreigners of other nationalities have to wait more than ten years???
You are conjuring stuff up. IF such programs existed, they are usually obligated to return to their home country to provide services. Many foreign PhD students return back to their home countries after studying in the US. They don't automatically become citizens.

You have been given an unfair advantage over hispanics/blacks that is why you don't need affirmitive action, you already have your connections.
Have you ever considered maybe different cultures have harder work ethics? The Asian culture value education. They believe if you study hard, work hard, you can get somewhere in life. Have you looked at your cellphone lately? Or your TV? Car? Playstation? Please go back to Sociology 101 before you make anymore baseless accusations.
Will you be given another unfair advantage in PCO? Dean Horne's summer program perhaps? Why do I get the feeling you are one of the chosen ones?

Then you might want to put in a complaint to the accreditation committie because IAUPR treats glaucoma in their clinic.

Maybe there is an MD as a supervising clinician there? I'm not in Puerto Rico, but I do know that for a fact they do have plenty of Glaucoma, Abs, Mydriatics,... etc... inside the school. Outside the PR school, we all know that OMDs have won the war against ODs.

Bottom line is that all students in all schools cannot write ANYTHING. So the experience is the SAME.
If IAUPR is treating glaucoma in their clinic and the law does not allow OD's to treat glaucoma in PR (I do not know the law in PR), then there must be an MD on site who is responsible for those patients. There was a time when an OD couldn't use diagnostic meds like mydriatics in PR and it was a serious problem for the school. I don't know if that is the case anymore.

I would disagree that the experience is the same in all the schools. I think it is more accurate to say that the education is similar, but in my experience of dealing with externs from multiple schools, there are some schools that do a better job of preparing their students for clinic than others. I believe you will get a good didactic education no matter where you go to school, but I believe better clinical education exists outside of the schools.

Have you ever considered maybe different cultures have harder work ethics? The Asian culture value education. They believe if you study hard, work hard, you can get somewhere in life.

Are you saying other cultures DON'T value education? "... Different cultures have harder work ethics," that is what everyone says... everyone thinks they "work harder" than the next person. Grow Up! Looks like YOU are the biased one.

My PCO comment comes from another thread of ICU's which you obviously didn't read.

I'm Objective.

There was a time when an OD couldn't use diagnostic meds like mydriatics in PR and it was a serious problem for the school.

There was a time when an OD couldn't use diagnostics in PR, but inside the school they have been able to dilate regardless of what is happening outside. I'm so surprised that someone like you that is "so in the loop" doesn't know this? Yes, they dialte ,in the school, they have been dilating for years!
I am sure you have never had an IAUPR extern so you cannot compare what you don't know.

Are you saying other cultures DON'T value education? Maybe they haven't been given a chance?

I'm not black, brown, nor yellow, ... I'm Objective.

I like how you try to spin me. I never said Don't.

Are you saying other cultures DON'T value education? "... Different cultures have harder work ethics," that is what everyone says... everyone thinks they "work harder" than the next person. Grow Up! Looks like YOU are the biased one.

My PCO comment comes from another thread of ICU's which you obviously didn't read.

I'm Objective.

You already have preconceived notions. Your lack of experience in culture sensitivity shows in the responses to ICU. This conversation is fruitless.

There was a time when an OD couldn't use diagnostics in PR, but inside the school they have been able to dilate regardless of what is happening outside. I'm so surprised that someone like you that is "so in the loop" doesn't know this? Yes, they dialte ,in the school, they have been dilating for years!
I apologize if my "loop" doesn't include IAUPR. I have never said I am an expert about what goes on at any school of optometry. When I was a 1st year student, which was almost 14 years ago, I met students from IAUPR and they were describing the situation in their school. According to them, they could not dilate in their clinic. I took them at their word as I did not have any reason not to believe them. So if by years, you mean they have been dilating for 10 years, then I cannot dispute what you say. All I can say is that there was a time (about 14 years ago) when I was told they could not use diagnostics at the school.

For clarification, if they were using diagnostics before the law in PR allowed them to, then there had to be an MD in the clinic who was overseeing students. OD's would not have been allowed to oversee any patient care where dilation was involved since that would be beyond their scope of practice.

What does this thread have to with anything anymore. I guess I'll feed into the pointlessness. It is very evident that some cultures value education more than others. The europeans have shorter work days with long lunches and unfortunately have less productive economies because of it. Nothing against them but they value other things more than work. This could be a good or bad thing, I could use more relaxing days! My good PR friend who has an MD told me many times that their culture was much more relaxed as relates to work and education. Again, this could be a bad or good thing but he stated it probably reflects in the lower avg GPAs and MCAT scores at the schools down there.
As far as I am concerned there should be no incentives for any race, religion, or background. It should be a completely level playing field period. Do you really want people thinking that you got in because of your race etc or do you want them to know you got in because you were best qualified? I know its not PC, but I also think that not forcing hispanic immigrants to learn english is detrimental to them as a whole. I believe I read a commentary that some northern european nation now requires immigrants to be fluent in their language before citizenship.

You already have preconceived notions. Your lack of experience in culture sensitivity shows in the responses to ICU. This conversation is fruitless.

When/if you ever go to optometry school, you'll see what I mean. Right now your argument doesn't make sense, write back in a couple of years:laugh:

I'm defending hispanics/blacks... and I'm neither... Or are these not your minorities of choice???

Again, YOU are the biased one.

All I can say is that there was a time (about 14 years ago) when I was told they could not use diagnostics at the school.

14 years ago, I know alot of O.D.s in alot of states who didn't dilate and haden't passed their TMOD.
So that argument applies to tons of optometrists HERE in the USA.

What does this thread have to with anything anymore. I guess I'll feed into the pointlessness. It is very evident that some cultures value education more than others. The europeans have shorter work days with long lunches and unfortunately have less productive economies because of it. Nothing against them but they value other things more than work. This could be a good or bad thing, I could use more relaxing days! My good PR friend who has an MD told me many times that their culture was much more relaxed as relates to work and education. Again, this could be a bad or good thing but he stated it probably reflects in the lower avg GPAs and MCAT scores at the schools down there.
As far as I am concerned there should be no incentives for any race, religion, or background. It should be a completely level playing field period. Do you really want people thinking that you got in because of your race etc or do you want them to know you got in because you were best qualified? I know its not PC, but I also think that not forcing hispanic immigrants to learn english is detrimental to them as a whole. I believe I read a commentary that some northern european nation now requires immigrants to be fluent in their language before citizenship.

This is the more mature comment I've read all day.

14 years ago, I know alot of O.D.s in alot of states who didn't dilate and haden't passed their TMOD.
So that argument applies to tons of optometrists HERE in the USA.
I am not sure what your point is, nor do I understand how it relates to my original comment. I made the reference to diagnostics to give an example to support my position that you were incorrect about optometry school faculty being able to practice to a higher level than their state allows. Based on the tone of your posts in this thread, you are obviously upset about something. I have no axe to grind with respect to the training at IAUPR. I graduated a long time ago, so I am sure the training at all the schools is better than what I went through. And since I could care less about what may be bothering you, I will just leave it at you were wrong about a "Federal Law" for OD's employed as faculty at optometry schools.