Question For Individuals Who Graduated/Graduating from New Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a817

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i had a question for students who graduated as inaugural class of a new osteopathic school or the 2nd class who graduated from that school etc. My question was how difficult was it for you to obtain a competitive specialty residency? I have heard osteo PD's are slightly bias towards new osteo schools, and you dont have the alumni contacts. Did you feel some sort of bias or prejudice against you? Are you really worse of going into a new osteo school, and if so by how much?

I know touro NV, and Lecom brandelton have faced these issues recently, so i would like to hear from their recent graduates.I think there are also other schools who are generally new that i am forgetting, and would love to hear their students opinions also. I have spoked to a member on the forum, privately about this issue and wanted to thank him again. I just wanted to know everyones experience.

I currently have been admitted into Touro NY, so that is why i ask that question. I am currently still waiting for NYCOM decision also. I have an option of waiting another year and applying again, but i don't think i would do that unless i hear horror stories about being in a new school. I took the mcat in January, so many schools chose not to look at me this cycle. I was lucky that Touro NY has a long application cycle.:) Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey i had a question for students who graduated as inaugural class of a new osteopathic school or the 2nd class who graduated from that school etc. My question was how difficult was it for you to obtain a competitive specialty residency? I have heard osteo PD's are slightly bias towards new osteo schools, and you dont have the alumni contacts. Did you feel some sort of bias or prejudice against you? Are you really worse of going into a new osteo school, and if so by how much?

I know touro NV, and Lecom brandelton have faced these issues recently, so i would like to hear from their recent graduates.I think there are also other schools who are generally new that i am forgetting, and would love to hear their students opinions also. I have spoked to a member on the forum, privately about this issue and wanted to thank him again. I just wanted to know everyones experience.

I currently have been admitted into Touro NY, so that is why i ask that question. I am currently still waiting for NYCOM decision also. I have an option of waiting another year and applying again, but i don't think i would do that unless i hear horror stories about being in a new school. I took the mcat in January, so many schools chose not to look at me this cycle. I was lucky that Touro NY has a long application cycle.:) Any suggestions?

Don't worry, you will be alright..new schools have a lot of advantages if you realize that the faculty will be more passionate, your clinical experience will be more valued by the school and your grades do matter to them! In a nutshell, ultimately school wont determine your residency or your practise. Do well in school and on the boards..

...My question was how difficult was it for you to obtain a competitive specialty residency? ...

Well...the proof is in the matchlists.

Look at TouroNV's:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6408531&postcount=2

or Bradenton's:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6421171&postcount=25

Both are about as good as most of the established schools, IMO. Yes, a more established school might get you an interview, but it won't get you the job-- that part's up to you. Yes, there are some PDs who don't like to interview students from new places. But, you can get into a tough specialty from any school as long as you are prepared to do the work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bradenton's match list this year was money. And didn't the first class supposedly not do so hot on step 1? They did something to impress people, apparently.

Well...the proof is in the matchlists.

Look at TouroNV's:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6408531&postcount=2

or Bradenton's:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6421171&postcount=25

Both are about as good as most of the established schools, IMO. Yes, a more established school might get you an interview, but it won't get you the job-- that part's up to you. Yes, there are some PDs who don't like to interview students from new places. But, you can get into a tough specialty from any school as long as you are prepared to do the work.

:thumbup: +1. Both schools the OP mentioned had excellent match lists in their first class. These programs don't seem to have problems getting students into desired residencies. I'd check out rotation sites more than anything else. However, from my limited pre-med SDN experience, I don't think you'll be held back in anyway by attending Touro NV or LECOM-B.