Question for LECOM-Bradenton students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a normal day like? I know the curriculum is all PBL, but I know you also have to have anatomy lecture. Any other lectures, or is the rest integrated into your PBL? And how long is each PBL session?

Members don't see this ad.

What is a normal day like? I know the curriculum is all PBL, but I know you also have to have anatomy lecture. Any other lectures, or is the rest integrated into your PBL? And how long is each PBL session?

I'm not a student (yet) but as per my understanding, OMM is separate and there are also a number of mini-courses which are more or less lecture based, and each PBL session is 2 hours long. I believe PBL meets once a week while you are taking anatomy and then 3 times per week after that.

Okay. So another question:

Are the profs pretty accessible, in the event that your group gets stumped in PBL?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a student (yet) but as per my understanding, OMM is separate and there are also a number of mini-courses which are more or less lecture based, and each PBL session is 2 hours long. I believe PBL meets once a week while you are taking anatomy and then 3 times per week after that.

This is more or less right. There is also a clinical exam course which has a lecture and lab component.

A typical, post-Anatomy, week looks something like this:

PBL 2hrs x 3 times/week = 6 hrs/ week

OMM 1 hr lecture + 2 hrs lab = 3 hrs/week

Clinical Exam 1 hr lecture + variable lab hours 0-2 = 1-3 hrs/week

Mini courses - Spirituality/ Ethics, Jurisprudence, Behavioral Science, Sexuality - very variable time requirement, some are online, some are lecture - anywhere from 0-8 hrs/week, I would say the average is probably 4-6 hours/ week.

Okay. So another question:

Are the profs pretty accessible, in the event that your group gets stumped in PBL?

You can always email or drop in on a professor if you have a specific question, but, in reality, it is usually not necessary.

The whole point of PBL is to get a little stumped in every session - the issues that come up and stump the group in every PBL session will become your learning issues. If an issue is relatively simple, the group may choose to look it up right then - if it is a larger topic, maybe it will be discussed at the next session after some additional study. Inevitably, the answers to the questions that come up will be found somewhere in the stack of basic science books which you will become very familiar with. Occasionally you may need to ask a professor about a particular lab value, but in my experience, it's pretty rare.

Every group also has a facilitator to help in pacing this questioning process - if the group breezes over an issue, the facilitator may ask some thought provoking questions to guide the group to delve deeper. Or, if the group becomes bogged down in minutiae, the facilitator may suggest tabling the issue and moving on with the case.

^^What he said.....

For the first 10 weeks you'll pretty much be on campus every day. We had anywhere from 5-9 anatomy lectures a week, 2hr gross labs 2-3 times a week, 1hr OMM lecture and 1hr Clinical lecture a week, 2hr OMM lab each week, and then every other week you had a clinical skills lab learning how to take histories, along with a 2hr pbl session each week.

For next year I'd say the schedule would be basically the same. I know they're constantly making little tweaks here and there and out schedule/curriculum is slightly different from previous years'.

So far I've found the faculty very approachable and willing to answer questions. There are always exceptions and you need/should have made an honest attempt to find the answer yourself, but I've never had a problem with the faculty.

We just finished anatomy last week and so this is our first week of full on "hardcore" PBL and the facilitators really want you to do PBL "correctly", so at least in the beginning, they'll be helpful in explaining the process, getting you started in it, and then gradually giving us more and more freedom.

Good luck on your interview! Is it this week or next?

...Any other lectures, or is the rest integrated into your PBL?

Histo and Embryo were a part of the anatomy course when I took it. There was supposed to be a change this year incorporating embryo into PBL. I don't know how that has been working out. They could easily change that again next year-- it just depends on how it works out. The other explanations were pretty good as far as many course go. What's my typical week like this semester?

Monday, Wednesday and Friday-- PBL for 2 hours in the morning.

Tuesday-- 2 to 4 hours of classes in the morning (Clin. Exam, OMM, mini-courses sometimes)

Thursday-- Two hours of OMM lab in the afternoon and 0 to 4 hours of mini-classes in the morning. When we finish with Behavioral Science in November, there will be nothing scheduled on Thursday mornings.

You do have various times throughout the semester when you have to come in in the afternoon and do exams on standardized patients, but that's not even every week.

Next semester the second years won't have mini classes. The extra time is supposed to be spent with board study on your own. Classes end in Mid April and formal board review begins and continues through May (one week is for ACLS classes)-- when you take the boards. Then, you begin rotations in June.

Thanks for the input y'all.

My interview is next week. I'm fired up. Need to book my hotel. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Thanks for the input y'all.

My interview is next week. I'm fired up. Need to book my hotel. Any suggestions on where to stay?

I know where not to stay: The Quality Inn and Suites in Sarasota....it had a funky smell, like mold or something. I still smell it on my suitcase. Blah. :eek:

Good luck to you Texas...it's really relaxed and enjoyable. Everyone was very nice and helpful, including Scpod!

You mean scpod is a real person? I thought you guys just all lived in my computer.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn. It's about 5 min from the school and was very nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
All booked at the econo lodge. Less than $50 including tax, and if I'm reading my map correctly, its pretty close to campus.

Okay... another question.

Austin Community College offers a medical terminology course. If I decide to go to LECOM-B, would this be pretty helpful for the PBL, so that I'm not looking up what words mean all the time?

Okay... another question.

Austin Community College offers a medical terminology course. If I decide to go to LECOM-B, would this be pretty helpful for the PBL, so that I'm not looking up what words mean all the time?

Just buy a medical terminology book and read up on it, then use it as a reference as needed!

Since the library closes at 11, where is there to get together with your group and study? Are there coffee shops and stuff around that stay open late?

That's my only real "complaint" with the area so far, no good coffee house type places open late. There are a few Starbucks and Barney's around, and there's a Barney's down in Lakewood Ranch several of us like to study at, but they're usually only open until 9pm during the week.

So usually a group either get together at school and meet in one of the PBL rooms, or just study at someone's house/apartment. And honestly, besides some last minute studying on my own before a test I really haven't come across a need to meet past 11 anyway. I pulled tons of all nighters and stayed up late during undergrad, but decided to try and kick that habit when I started here and it's worked. During the 1st 10 weeks of anatomy I could see that happening, because we had lectures and sometimes couldn't really start studying until like 4pm that day, but now with just PBL if you can get up in the morning at a decent time and start studying there shouldn't be a need to stay at school past 11 to study.

I've heard of some students going to the USF's branch library in Sarasota, I guess it may be open a little later during the week and supposedly allows food/drink in there? http://lib.sar.usf.edu/

I've also studied at Atlanta Bread and Panera, there's a couple off of University and they have free wireless and you can usually find a seat next to a power outlet, grab some food and study for a while.

I still wish some of the coffee places were open later though. And that may change as the snowbirds start to come down and they get busier and busier. I keep suggesting it to them when I'm there. :)

Okay, to make a long story short, I will need a wal-mart, or "discount" shoe store in the bradenton area this afternoon. Any suggestions?

Good luck with the interview :luck:

Thanks meatwad.

Anyone have any suggestions for sports talk radio in the area?

Holy crap I thought it was humid in Austin. This puts our humidity to shame.

Yea, it's been pretty bad last few days. You've missed all the rain though, so enjoy the sun. At night it hasn't been too bad though. And at least here we usually get a good breeze. I moved down from Tallahassee (our capitol in the panhandle part of the state) and even though we had colder winters, our summers were pretty bad because we didn't have a coastal breeze and the air/humidity would just sit.

I see you're enjoying some free hotel internet?