Question for neurosurrgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey NS's I have a question about research
I am just about done with my MS (I graduate tonight yay:) and will be starting med school in Aungust. My lab wants me to stay over the summer, bc my thesis work has gotten some intesting findings and looks as though it's going to be published (most likely in Science magazine), though I am going to be 2nd author I believe behind my PI. I gave a poster at a conference a few weeks back, and we just have a few repeats to do.
My question is, will it help at all come match/residency time in NS? Does basic science research publications look good? It is on replication timing in telomeres.
Should I stay in my current lab or try and find some NS labs this summer?
thanks so much I appreciate the help.

pS Sorry for the typo with the extra R on neurosurgeons:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
are u seriously publishing in Science? Thats friggn amazing, I almost find it hard to believe considering that they reject so many and take mostly established PI's anyway not graduate student's works. anywhoo

are u seriously publishing in Science? Thats friggn amazing, I almost find it hard to believe considering that they reject so many and take mostly established PI's anyway not graduate student's works. anywhoo

I think he said he's not the first author so I assume the first author is his dissertation advisor and also most likely a fair large-name PI. Just a guess though.

I think he said he's not the first author so I assume the first author is his dissertation advisor and also most likely a fair large-name PI. Just a guess though.

Thanks chicoborja, that's exactly what I said:) haha why would I make that up lol? And you are right, my PI is very very well established in his field. Any time I read a paper in our field he is referenced somehow haha. My friend last year in the lab (who only comes for summers) said in genetics they had a lecture with stuff about him int it:) He couldn't believe it and emailed him right away, that was really cool. Anyways, He's been around for a while (actually will be "retiring" after this summer, though we all know he can't not do work and will keep the lab open for a bit).
Not to take away from my work, because I have worked really hard on this project for the last two years, and learned a lot of new techniques (and had to keep very determined on redoing over and over and over again that I had to get just right:)
Oh and BTW I am not a he, I am a she:)

one more thing, my ex and I got into an argument (bc he is pissed about me being published and his work is not) I think a lot of it is luck with experiments like these. I mean I didn't know if our ideas would work or not, but it was up to me to find out. You can be a very precise, hard worker, and maybe your hypothesis just isin't the case. So although I worked really hard, I think I had a little luck mixed in.
ps it's great to have people on here who know what Science is. Surprisingly, some clinicians don't know.

Thanks chicoborja, that's exactly what I said:) haha why would I make that up lol? And you are right, my PI is very very well established in his field. Any time I read a paper in our field he is referenced somehow haha. My friend last year in the lab (who only comes for summers) said in genetics they had a lecture with stuff about him int it:) He couldn't believe it and emailed him right away, that was really cool. Anyways, He's been around for a while (actually will be "retiring" after this summer, though we all know he can't not do work and will keep the lab open for a bit).
Not to take away from my work, because I have worked really hard on this project for the last two years, and learned a lot of new techniques (and had to keep very determined on redoing over and over and over again that I had to get just right:)
Oh and BTW I am not a he, I am a she:)

one more thing, my ex and I got into an argument (bc he is pissed about me being published and his work is not) I think a lot of it is luck with experiments like these. I mean I didn't know if our ideas would work or not, but it was up to me to find out. You can be a very precise, hard worker, and maybe your hypothesis just isin't the case. So although I worked really hard, I think I had a little luck mixed in.
ps it's great to have people on here who know what Science is. Surprisingly, some clinicians don't know.

they probably are just fu*king with you. or they just migrated here from Khazakstan.