Question for other pharmacy students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you still live with your parents, and if so, do you still have a curfew? I am ****ing sick of having to be home by 11PM on weeknights and 12AM on weekends. The way I plan out my time, study my ass off on the weekdays, hang out on the weekends. I work until 6PM on Saturdays, my friends don't get off work until 8-10PM, which leaves me with 1-2 hours to hang out before I gotta get home.

Is it time for me to move out if I wanna be able to stay out as late as I want?

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you still live with your parents, and if so, do you still have a curfew? I am ****ing sick of having to be home by 11PM on weeknights and 12AM on weekends. The way I plan out my time, study my ass off on the weekdays, hang out on the weekends. I work until 6PM on Saturdays, my friends don't get off work until 8-10PM, which leaves me with 1-2 hours to hang out before I gotta get home.

that sucks. but hey it's free right? If you're paying them, on the other hand, i wouldnt accept that kind of deal!

Trying...not...to...laugh. My face kinda followed the following pattern after reading this.

:uhno: :wtf: :scared: :oops::) :D :smuggrin: :laugh: :roflcopter: :rofl:

Cut the cord, dude. They enjoy having someone to exert power over. It's the entire point of having children. They need to grow up themselves and realize they don't need to protect you anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever tried to stay out past your curfew? If so, what happened? In other words, are they simply trying to bluff you and make you think that your curfew is anything other than arbitrary?

Is that kind of powertrip going to make you self-destruct? That wouldn't be good... at least you workout.

Can you afford to live on your own in California? What about staying/living with a good friend or relative?

While I can't relate because I didn't have a curfew growing up, I still feel sorry for you. :( Good luck! :xf:

Can you afford to live on your own in California? What about staying/living with a good friend or relative?

I think Sparda attends Touro in NYC.

Sparda, you could always get a place with a roommate, I know NYC is a little expensive going solo, and if you don't like it move back into your parents place.

I'm not Dear Abby and I don't pretend to know the entire family dynamic, but here goes. This falls under the Golden Rule. He who has the gold rules. It's your parents house, so they get to set the rules. This is doubly true if they are paying your tuition as well.

The real answer is to speak with your parents without anger or recrimination and explain to them what you explained to us, some of your friends don't get out of work until 10PM and that it leaves too little time to socialize.

As the parent of two daughters (19 & 22) there was never really a curfew. Each event was it's own dynamic. I'm going to a movie at 7pm and then get something to eat and I'll be home at 2AM was a non starter. They have to be home at a agreed upon time based on the evenings activities and they are expected to call if they are going to be late.....

I pay for tuition, don't require a cosigner for loans.

They aren't charging me to live at home, they pay my car insurance, which is a lot because of my 4 speeding tickets in New York in the last 3 years. I have more speeding tickets out of state but they do not count against my insurance or my license.

Basically, back in April, my friends wanted to go to Times Square to see a movie (Harold and Kumar 2), so it started around 9ish, finished at 11. Of course, I left my car back in Queens because you'd be insane to drive into Midtown Manhattan. So after the movie, me and my friends were just walking around deciding what to eat. After all of this, we had to find a subway to get back to Queens, of course the subway was running local so it made every stop now. There is no cell phone service.

When I got out of the subway and to my car, I had like 11 voicemails and 5 text messages "Where the **** are you?"

My plan is to move out next semester citing how difficult P2 is.

Here are your options. Choose wisely.

1. Play by rent's rules and have some money in the pocket.
  2. Do #1 plus convince them to extend the curfew on special occassions.
  3. Move out and have all the freedom you want and be broke.
But here is a classic example of why you refuse to take responsibility of your action instead blame other factors which is crock of BS. You couldn't call your parents because of the subway ride? Yeah yeah...why didn't you call them before you got on the subway?

broke P4 here.. i had my own apartment, but i would come home for 4 months every summer.. dad threw down 40,000 for school.. you hate their rules but LOVE their $$ and momma's cookin.. haha...

try this trick.. text them 4 times a night before it even gets near your curfew... doesn't matter if you do it between kegstands... get it done!!

NYC can be dangerous.. show them you are a responsible adult and they will treat you like one..

I pay for tuition, don't require a cosigner for loans.

They aren't charging me to live at home, they pay my car insurance, which is a lot because of my 4 speeding tickets in New York in the last 3 years. I have more speeding tickets out of state but they do not count against my insurance or my license.

No wonder they are worried about your safety.:rolleyes: I say talk to your parents about the curfew. If it can't be resolved amicably, move out on your own.

I lived at home for the first 2 years. Rent was free but I paid all of the utilities on the house. I was the light switch enforcer!

Anyway, I did not have a curfew, I haven't since I was 18. I was expected to contribute to the household - do dishes, etc. And to let them know if I was going to be gone for >48 hours, but nope, no curfew.

I love living alone. It would be cheaper to have a roommate but I really love my current situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha, funny thread =]

i would say it's ridiculous...but i think i can relate.
i'm 26 and when i go back home...i feel like i'm 12 again.

move out. :p

It's definitely time for you to move out and live on your own.

You might be a little broke and lack more sleep than ever before; but, you'll learn to appreciate home cooking more than ever.

Wow... just wow...

Dude, please move out now. I haven't lived with my parents since I went to undergrad. Curfews?! WTF?! :eek:

Please tell us that you are willing to work a little more or take a little more loan to gain your freedom. I just can't even imagine anyone in their 20's still living with with their parents day in and day out... wow.... :laugh:

I think Sparda attends Touro in NYC.

Sparda, you could always get a place with a roommate, I know NYC is a little expensive going solo, and if you don't like it move back into your parents place.
I thought so too, but whenever I researched the school, I found the one in California. Meh... Same situation for him, just different states.

I wanna move out, I took out additional loans just for this purpose, but I'm not being allowed to move out. Basically, if I move out, it's going to be ugly. (I'm 21 BTW, close to 22.) I don't know if this is a cultural thing (Indian American Muslim), perhaps other Indian Americans can chime in and say if they are facing the same issues.

Right now, basically I leave at 7-8AM in the morning, and come back 9-11PM at night, and I usually fall asleep by 1AM.

To Mr. Zyvox, they didn't expect me to call them when I was getting back, they know that I never make the first call. So, around the time I got to the subway station, I hadn't received any calls thus I assumed they were asleep already. And then the calls came pouring in while I was on the train.

When I got out of the subway and to my car, I had like 11 voicemails and 5 text messages "Where the **** are you?"

I had a situation a little similar a couple months ago. I lived on my own for five years of undergrad then moved back in with my parents this year. My mom makes dinner every night for the family so we keep a calendar in the kitchen and I mark when I'll be home in the evening so she knows if she should plan for me or not. A couple months ago I forgot to mark an evening rehearsal I had after work, and turned my phone off during the rehearsal. When I wasn't home and didn't call and didn't answer my phone, my parents freaked and called the CHP and asked for an APB to go out on my car (they are the registered owners). Really the issue wasn't that I wasn't home, but that they just didn't know where I was and what if something had happened? My mom has been known to call me if it's after midnight and I'm not home.. but I'm pretty sure she's just checking in to make sure I'm not lying in a ditch somewhere and she can have peace of mind to go to bed. They don't care where I go or when I come home, but they'd like to know what to expect. Can you make a deal with your parents that you will keep them updated on where you're going and when you'll be home?

I wanna move out, I took out additional loans just for this purpose, but I'm not being allowed to move out. Basically, if I move out, it's going to be ugly. (I'm 21 BTW, close to 22.) I don't know if this is a cultural thing (Indian American Muslim), perhaps other Indian Americans can chime in and say if they are facing the same issues.
You could always get married. :p

j/k

I worked with a female Indian student whose parents didn't even want her to work, but she did anyway to get out of their house and have some independence.

Have you talked with your parents about the whole situation? Maybe they need to hear that you did not mean to make them worry that night, and that your current curfew is really causing you some grief.
Rather than move out and make them think that you are betraying them or something awful like that, perhaps you can convince them that the current curfew is adverse to your social life and should be changed immediately for X, Y, and Z reasons.

Tell them that you will inform them from now on where you are going and when you will be home, and hope that will be enough.

Good luck!

I'm not Indian nor Muslim but my parents are the strict, traditional type. There's a reason I chose a school that was at least a 2 hours drive. Far enough that they can't visit me often and close enough that I can go back home at a moment's notice :laugh:.

How long is the commute from your house? If it's over 30 min, just say you could save so much time by living near campus. You could also get a fellow Indian friend's parents to convince your parents. If all else fails, just sign up for a lease and say to your parents, "Oops, I accidentally signed up for housing near campus and now I have to live there or else I'll lose my security deposit. Gotta go, bye!"

Living by yourself is something you gotta experience, if only for a semester.

I'm not Indian nor Muslim but my parents are the strict, traditional type. There's a reason I chose a school that was at least a 2 hours drive. Far enough that they can't visit me often and close enough that I can go back home at a moment's notice :laugh:.

How long is the commute from your house? If it's over 30 min, just say you could save so much time by living near campus. You could also get a fellow Indian friend's parents to convince your parents. If all else fails, just sign up for a lease and say to your parents, "Oops, I accidentally signed up for housing near campus and now I have to live there or else I'll lose my security deposit. Gotta go, bye!"

Living by yourself is something you gotta experience, if only for a semester.

I am supremely confident that I can live by myself, I'm a master at cooking, but I'm one of those people who lives in an organized mess of a room. Usually, I'll let my room get really bad before cleaning it up.

The school is 26 miles from my house, the commute to school can be either 20 minutes - 2 hours depending on traffic conditions, and how much of a lead foot I have that day.

It's not that bad getting back from school at night, getting to school during the day is the problem. Why start classes at 8AM and 9AM in the middle of rush hour, if you start at 10AM there is no more rush hour traffic to deal with. I'm willing to stay 1 hour extra at school so I can get 2 extra hours of sleep at night.

Freedom comes with a price!!

My parents didn't want me to move out either and I stayed at home until I was 22. I really wish I had the courage to move out sooner because I didn't get to live the college life. I didn't really have a curfew, but it was so annoying that my dad kept calling me wanting to know where I was. I would be at school studying with my friends and he would call and tell me to study at home. WTF?!?!? So it's like I didn't have a curfew, but at the same time, I did.

I just kinda dropped the bomb on them and moved far away. Now my mom wants me to move back in with them once I'm done with school so I can save money. Yeah right...that is never going to happen. I love living on my own. You should just tell them that you want to move out. They will probably yell and be mad for a few weeks, but eventually they'll have to get over it.

:thumbdown:

Last edited:
hey, im an indian american muslim too. i did my first year of undergrad 3 hours away from home. and i think it taught me alot about life. its something you really need to experience. however, my parents werent against the idea. i think they realized that i was going to move out when i was in high school. now im doing pharmD in india which is FAR away from home. and they're cool about it. i havent seen them in 9 months. and im far away from any family whatsoever. but they have the confidence that i can handle myself and thats why they arent worried. its a tough stage for them but once they realize you dont need them hovering over you (and you experience it yourself)..everything will be fine.

Yeah, it seems like they think I say stuff sometimes that classifies me as not ready to move out. For example, the latest thing:

It had snowed that day so I was about to head out around 11PM at night:

Parents: Where are you going?
Me: The Pathmark parking lot.
Parents: Why? Pathmark is closed.
Me: I know, but no one is in the parking lot, it's the perfect spot to practice how to do doughnuts and how to get out of skids in the car.
Parents: Are you f'in kidding me? You're not doing that **** in your leased car.

To Mr. Zyvox, they didn't expect me to call them when I was getting back, they know that I never make the first call. So, around the time I got to the subway station, I hadn't received any calls thus I assumed they were asleep already. And then the calls came pouring in while I was on the train.

again, you proved Zyvox's point. and it is a running theme in a lot of your posts. You never take responsibility for your own actions. You could of called them to let them know you were running late but you chose not to.

Sparda29 said:
Yeah, it seems like they think I say stuff sometimes that classifies me as not ready to move out. For example, the latest thing:

Me: I know, but no one is in the parking lot, it's the perfect spot to practice how to do doughnuts and how to get out of skids in the car.
Parents: Are you f'in kidding me? You're not doing that **** in your leased car.

This is probably another reason why you have curfew. Are you f'ing nuts?

1) Why would you ever tell your parents you're doing that
2) Why would you do that in a car you don't even own? That shows you have zero respect for anything.

Ah, the brutal honesty. I love it. I love doing this to my girlfriend.

she: OMG, my belly is getting fat...
me: yeah, it's been getting bigger and bigger ever since we started dating.
she: .....
me: that's what you get for not going to the gym with me everyday.
she: but I'm lazy....
me: let me grab it...mmm...OMG, it's bigger than your boobs. hahaha :smuggrin:

she no talking to me for 24 hours. :laugh: I love it. When you can be that brutally honest with your gf, you know you are going to end up marrying her.

she no talking to me for 24 hours. :laugh: I love it. When you can be that brutally honest with your gf, you know you are going to end up marrying her.

or you are just an a sshole :thumbdown:

again, you proved Zyvox's point. and it is a running theme in a lot of your posts. You never take responsibility for your own actions. You could of called them to let them know you were running late but you chose not to.

This is probably another reason why you have curfew. Are you f'ing nuts?

1) Why would you ever tell your parents you're doing that
2) Why would you do that in a car you don't even own? That shows you have zero respect for anything.

Well, since there are zero cars in the parking lot other than me, there is not a chance of my car getting damaged, other than some freak event that causes my car to flip over, which it's not gonna do at 15 mph.

And yeah, so where do you practice skid control for snow driving and how do you practice it?

Well, since there are zero cars in the parking lot other than me, there is not a chance of my car getting damaged, other than some freak event that causes my car to flip over, which it's not gonna do at 15 mph.

And yeah, so where do you practice skid control for snow driving and how do you practice it?

Um, really? I don't know where you live, but here in Michigan we don't NEED to practice that..if you don't know what to do in a slide then you shouldn't be on the roads in snow. Going to a parking lot to screw around is stupid. No wonder your parents don't think you're ready to move out.

And you know that parking lots have light poles and stuff, right?

or you are just an a sshole :thumbdown:

While I do tell romantic lies early in relationships, I personally believe that before you can marry someone, you better be able to speak whatever is on your mind. If you can't, the something is seriously wrong. Have to BS during all day, smile and thank people that you despise is enough, the last thing you need is have to do more lies and pretense when you come home. If that's being an as shole then so be it, I won't marry any girl that I can't speak ugly truth to.

Last edited:
When it snowed about a week ago and the roads were slick, I actually did evasive maneuvering practice (skids and slides). But I don't freaking tell anyone, especially my parents!

I am glad my parents aren't tightasses. You have to enjoy yourself, work hard and play hard.

Um, really? I don't know where you live, but here in Michigan we don't NEED to practice that..if you don't know what to do in a slide then you shouldn't be on the roads in snow. Going to a parking lot to screw around is stupid. No wonder your parents don't think you're ready to move out.

And you know that parking lots have light poles and stuff, right?

Unfortunately, driving instructors around here never got around to teaching us that stuff. BMW occasionally held a once a year 3 hour course here but nowhere near enough to learn anything.

3 things that should be taught in the US that aren't taught for driving.

#1 - Skid Control
#2 - Obstacle Avoidance
#3 - Evasive Driving