question for reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlyfavored

obligated to serve God...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you share your experiences if you applied and were rejected and reapplied? I know this process is such an emotional roller coaster (atleast for me it is) before you even get to the acceptance/rejection part of it. I'm not really sure what to do if I'm not accepted. I know some ppl have shared questions from their interview and one of these questions was "what will you do if you're not admitted?" I know I shouldn't sit at home in my robe and cry for days, but at the same time what will I do? I know I'll need to get myself together and improve on whatever my weak area(s) is(are). If you guys who have experienced this could just shed some light on how you "picked yourself up" and kept going. Especially those of you who were accepted after reapplying. Even if you haven't experienced this, but have some good advise...bring it on! I'm going to be a pharmacist if it kills me, but we all know that rejection hurts and sometimes throws us off track! I'm a "throw back" student (nontraditional), so I feel like time is not on my side. I've been out of school for a few years, so when i revisit ochem it seems almost like a complete stranger even though I did fine in it when I was in school. What should I do to help this stuff become my friend again? I have the Kaplan reivew book. I found myself saying WTF???, as I went through a lot of it! Are there any books, other materials, or/and study methods you guys recommend? I'm so glad I found this site, b/c you guys really give good sincere advise! Keep doing what you do, you guys have really spoken some positve things into ppl's lives!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

animal_lover said:
Could you share your experiences if you applied and were rejected and reapplied? I know this process is such an emotional roller coaster (atleast for me it is) before you even get to the acceptance/rejection part of it. I'm not really sure what to do if I'm not accepted. I know some ppl have shared questions from their interview and one of these questions was "what will you do if you're not admitted?" I know I shouldn't sit at home in my robe and cry for days, but at the same time what will I do? I know I'll need to get myself together and improve on whatever my weak area(s) is(are). If you guys who have experienced this could just shed some light on how you "picked yourself up" and kept going. Especially those of you who were accepted after reapplying. Even if you haven't experienced this, but have some good advise...bring it on! I'm going to be a pharmacist if it kills me, but we all know that rejection hurts and sometimes throws us off track! I'm a "throw back" student (nontraditional), so I feel like time is not on my side. I've been out of school for a few years, so when i revisit ochem it seems almost like a complete stranger even though I did fine in it when I was in school. What should I do to help this stuff become my friend again? I have the Kaplan reivew book. I found myself saying WTF???, as I went through a lot of it! Are there any books, other materials, or/and study methods you guys recommend? I'm so glad I found this site, b/c you guys really give good sincere advise! Keep doing what you do, you guys have really spoken some positve things into ppl's lives!! :)

I'm a reapplicant this year and I know how frustrating and scary it can be to throw yourself out there knowing what the rejection is like and realizing that there are no guarantees in this process. But keep your head up because a year has made a huge difference in my case!
Last year I had below a 3.0 GPA, an 86 PCAT and was not accepted. I applied a little late in the cycle though, and I feel like that probably hurt my chances quite a bit. It almost took that first year to figure out all the tricks of the trade so to speak. I didn't get a single interview out of about 7 schools or so to which I applied.
I spoke to a pre-professional advisor over the summer and was told that 70% of reapplicants are accepted. This made me feel a little better... especially after the exhausting year I'd had. I didn't know if I had the energy or patience to retake the PCAT or go through PharmCas again- but I knew I had to try!
This year I finished PharmCas early, got on top of those applications and registered to retake the PCAT. Before I even took the exam, I'd had 2 actual interviews plus another one scheduled and once acceptance! So this just goes to show it wasn't my PCAT score holding me back; perhaps the GPA and how early I applied vs last year.
Reapplying to a school shows your determination and will to succeed. And in a years time, you can improve your application! Even though I only raised my GPA by about .05 and applied a couple months earlier than last year- it made all the difference in the world! DO NOT lose hope... if you want to become a pharmacist, you absolutely will.