Question for researchers in neuroimaging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldsweat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for books/websites for learning diffusion tensor imaging?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for books/websites that focus on the statistical analysis of fMRI data. For my fMRI class, we used the Huettel, Song & McCarthy book, which is a good for learning MRI physics/research design, but it's treatment of the statistical analysis of the data is lighter than I wanted. I learned a lot through playing with the analysis scripts for existing data, but I'm afraid my knowledge may not generalize to studies that use other methods.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for books/websites for learning diffusion tensor imaging?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for books/websites that focus on the statistical analysis of fMRI data. For my fMRI class, we used the Huettel, Song & McCarthy book, which is a good for learning MRI physics/research design, but it's treatment of the statistical analysis of the data is lighter than I wanted. I learned a lot through playing with the analysis scripts for existing data, but I'm afraid my knowledge may not generalize to studies that use other methods.

I recently attended a lecture on neuroimagining research given by Greg Hajcak, PhD, Associate Professor, Director, Anxiety Disorders Clinic, Department of Psychology, Stony Brook University. You could possibly email him about this very specific question. It could be worth a shot...

I recently attended a lecture on neuroimagining research given by Greg Hajcak, PhD, Associate Professor, Director, Anxiety Disorders Clinic, Department of Psychology, Stony Brook University. You could possibly email him about this very specific question. It could be worth a shot...

He's doing DTI work now?!? It appears my ever-growing stack of reading to catch up on just got bigger...

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on software preference, and by extension $.

There is some course on SPM in london every year which is pretty good. There is a freesurfer course over at MGH. Freesurfer wiki and listserv are pretty good. MRIcron website has a tutorial on DTI with sample data. AFNI's website has a DTI tutorial. RSNA has courses every year. ASFNR has courses every year.

UCLA has a course every summer, as well as an archive of videos and slides from previous years: http://www.brainmapping.org/NITP/Summer2012.php. There are other universities with similar courses, but I'm not sure if they have material online.

FSL also has a course, usually around the conference for Organization for Human Brain Mapping. Also check out the journals NeuroImage and Human Brain Mapping- most methods papers specific to neuroimaging get published there.

Edit: previously mentioned listservs are also helpful. I know each of the main neuroimaging software packages (FSL, SPM, AFNI) has a listserv that has a lot of useful info come through.

Thanks for the recommendations about workshops, I hadn't thought about that resource! The link to the slides and videos for the UCLA course looks useful. I've been using the listserv for AFNI and it's been helpful.