Question for Rn's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berlfe03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have decided to go to nursing school and applied to both the local community college and university. Problem is, I have been accepted to both. I am having a real tough time making a choice between the two, as I feel they are both very good schools. My ultimate goal is to obtain a master's degree, so getting my BSN straight away makes sense. However, it is quite a bit more expensive to go the university then the community college, and hey, I'm cheap. :) So should I make this decision just based on dollars and cents, and go to the cheap school, or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat (exactly, I plan to go for my master's at soem point too). I chose the community college ADN program for the dramatically lower tuition. I already have a BA in another field, so some places I can go ahead and just go into a Master's program. But, there are a lot of hospitals out there that will provide tuition assistance (in some cases 100%) to RNs that work for them to complete their BSN. My theory is, if I can pay a lot less (actually hoping to have it all covered by scholarship, but it's still less to cover with scholarship), then get someone else to pay for my BSN (or bridge to Master's), that's a better deal. Plus, I can be working as a nurse in two years.

How old are you? With me, age is an issue. I'm 32, married and planning to start a family soon. I need to get done and start working as an RN and need to continue to work while I'm in school (something that is very hard to do in an accelerated BSN program - which is what I'd be looking at), so the ADN route makes sense to me. Some places may be different, but from RNs I've talked to in this area, the salary difference in BSN and ADN is negligible. The BSN is mainly good for planning to go on for you master's. You might look into hospitals in your area and see if they offer tuition assistance to finish your BSN.

So, I have decided to go to nursing school and applied to both the local community college and university. Problem is, I have been accepted to both. I am having a real tough time making a choice between the two, as I feel they are both very good schools. My ultimate goal is to obtain a master's degree, so getting my BSN straight away makes sense. However, it is quite a bit more expensive to go the university then the community college, and hey, I'm cheap. :) So should I make this decision just based on dollars and cents, and go to the cheap school, or am I missing something?

Just get the BSN now. It will be cheaper in the long run. It is much harder to go back once you've graduated from a diploma or ADN program and try to finish up a BSN.

Trust me; this is a lesson I have learned the hard way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey bryan, yeah age is an issue for me too, I am 33. So, it does make sense to get my BSN and get it over with, but then at the same time I want to be in the field in two years instead of four. We have been talking about having a family too, and I feel like if I get stuck in the university for four years, it won't happen, I will be too bogged down with school. Anyway, it sounds like you have a good plan good luck!!

fab4fan, are you saying it's too hard to go back to school after you get a job? Is it because nursing takes so much energy that you won't have any left to put into school?

fab4fan, are you saying it's too hard to go back to school after you get a job? Is it because nursing takes so much energy that you won't have any left to put into school?

Scheduling can be difficult, motivation can be difficult, and yes, energy is definitely a factor. Who feels like studying after working all day? You're already in the groove of going to school; just go the extra year and get the degree.

Tuition reimbursement is not always a given, so don't count on that as a factor for off-setting the cost of going back to school after graduating from an ADN/diploma program.

I would go for the BSN. Leads to greater opportunities in the future. Going back once you have that great paycheck gets harder and harder.

Go on allnurses.com and ask them. They might have better input for you.

I would say go for the BSN if you know for a fact you want to go to graduate school. Another thing, we were promised tuition reimbursement (at my first job out of college) and then it turned into...well there is not enough money now, etc. Don't count on it till you see the money.
good luck