Question for Scribes: Eligible for rehire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawaiipupae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scribe company has a contract for 1 year full time or 2 years part time. If I left before this time I was wondering if when future employers call the company, they will say I am not eligible for rehire. I know that this essentially tells a company that the candidate was fired, which I don't want.

Anybody knowledgeable about the hiring process that can help me on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of a gray area. I was in the same situation with a 2 year part-time contract, but the hospital actually cancelled its scribe program after I was 11 months into my contract. I was then later rehired 1.5 years later through the same company/different hospital.

Having seen so many scribes leave before meeting the contract requirements, I have to think the company knows there's a high turnover rate. But it's a risk you would be taking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't think it's really a big deal. I was chief scribe at my site before I left and we didn't really care about the whole "1 year full time, 2 year part time" thing. Granted, we didn't look to hire people we knew would be leaving shortly after they were hired, but if they had to leave and had a decent reason (i.e. starting medical school, moving out of the area, starting a new job) and if they gave us some notice, we were fine with it. Of course, this depends on the scribe company, the specific site and who's in charge there. I'd talk it over with your boss and see what they have to say.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like this would depend on the scribing company. Scribe jobs have high turnover rates anyhow. I mean, as long as you were really professional about how you left, I don't see why they would give you a bad recommendation (unless your scribing company is really that harsh). After all, It'd look bad if you just stopped showing up to work or gave them really short notice. Was your manager pretty understanding when you first told him/her you were going to leave?

What are good scribe companies and that will be hiring soon? I tried ScribeAmerica, but was told they are not hiring at the moment.

What are good scribe companies and that will be hiring soon? I tried ScribeAmerica, but was told they are not hiring at the moment.

It depends on your area. I suggest going on LinkedIn and seeing where people in your area are scribing for as a start.