question for the optometry students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went to Lenscrafters for a eye exam for contacts...

the dr said the cups in my eyes are very big and when I come back next week, she wants to do a visual field test...

does this mean I might have glaucoma?? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

it most likely means you were born with physiologically large cups (some people are)... but any time someone looks larger like that it's good to get a baseline visual field. It does mean you're a "suspect" for glaucoma, but might never progress. PM me if you have more questions vixen... your doc is good and just being cautious. :)

cpw said:
it most likely means you were born with physiologically large cups (some people are)... but any time someone looks larger like that it's good to get a baseline visual field. It does mean you're a "suspect" for glaucoma, but might never progress. PM me if you have more questions vixen... your doc is good and just being cautious. :)

thank u!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
vixen said:
I just went to Lenscrafters for a eye exam for contacts...

the dr said the cups in my eyes are very big and when I come back next week, she wants to do a visual field test...

does this mean I might have glaucoma?? :eek:

Dear vixen,

The doctor's observation that your optic nerves are 'suspicious' is an appropriate risk factor for further testing. Some doctors will get central corneal thicknesses (pachymetry). If warranted, additional "structural" tests might be desired (such as retinal imaging).In most cases, the doctor may either assess you as "not having glaucoma now" but having "borderline findings (large disc cupping).

Remember that the size of the cup should be related to the size of the optic nerve head. A .75 cup in a small nerve head is more of a concern than a .75 cup in a large nerve head.

Because of your age (I'm assuming under 30), a diagnosis of glacuoma should necessitate "aggressive" lowering the IOP with medication because of your life expectancy.

Richard_Hom

Keep the follow up with your eye doctor as a visual field test is a key tool used to determine if a patient has glaucoma or not. Even if you don't have glaucoma, the visual field will establish a baseline for comparison down the road should something turn up. As Dr. Hom mentioned, imaging might also be a good idea as an additional means of comparison. It's impossible to say if you have glaucoma or not with your description, however it can be said that your doctor is pretty vigilant and is taking one of the necessary measures to r/o glaucoma.